Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cold but fun weekend >

Cold but fun weekend

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cold but fun weekend

Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cold but fun weekend

It was freezing in wisconsin for opening day. I hunted all day on state land in the kettle moraine, I saw one doe but someone else saw it too and they started flinging slugs through the air right at me. I had to dive behind a tree. On sunday a guy walked up the deer trail I was watching and when he got passed me I herd him shoot five times but he never hit the deer. today I hunted in the morning without seeing a deer. I was riding down the road in the truck when a deer walked out on the road it was limping bad with is front left leg. We stopped the truck and i got out to follow the deer. I wasnt 200 yards off the road when i saw it limping away. I raised my .45 cal muzzleloader and shot at her neck trying to break the spine but i hit a little high, sending the 225 grain powerbelt behind her ear and it pretty much took her whole face off. After i walked up to her i found out why she was limping someone cliped her shoulder with a bullet. She isnt a big doe but i am happy. Deer are getting hard to come by where i hunt.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cold but fun weekend

Well when I see one, I will let you know. It was -2ยบ opening morning. Today I had some high hopes, I was walking around in the snow storm we were having. I hoped to find one in their bed. Got to the back of my property and here was a truck load of blaze orange men getting out to do a drive of the property. The driver asked me if I knew who owned the land. I told him I did, and that the NO TRESSPASSING signs mean what they said. So he grumbled something and they all climbed back in the truck and drove off.

Of course the DNR is bragging about deer count all ready. And how registration stations are saying the count is high. Yet I talked to the woman where I get my gas and would register a deer if I shot one. She said the count is so low, that they sent their part time helper home... The helper was there to stock shelves and register deer. I think the DNR is doing their usual smoke and mirrors speeches. Sell license and that's all that matters.

But we got a long time. I will keep a rifle handy and take walks every day... You never know when that buck will walk out.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

By the way, congratulations on the doe. And that was a good thing you did, taking a wounded deer and putting them down. They would have never made the winter, and only been wolf food.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the doe, you done good.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wimuzzleman

Hats off you! You did that animal a real favor + you got some eaten meat for yourself... You are a 'sportsman'

thank you...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

I was just on the wisconsin dnr website. They said the low deer harvest numbers were due to to the cold temps. I thought deer move more when its cold,hunters move more when its cold and they have to push deer somewhere. Bottom line is there isn't as many deer as thewisconsin dnr thinks there is.

As far as the doe i shot goes I couldnt just stand by and let her suffer like that. It looks like someone just clipped the side of her shoulder it was shattered. Now I dont have anytime off til muzzleloader season. Hopefully i can find a buck somewhere.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

On the radio today they said, the reason the numbers are down is.. with the cold weather, we are letting them hang. And are hunting harder and not bringing them in to register as fast. Like I said, smoke and mirrors.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe! Were you hunting the Northern or Southern Kettle? My buddy and I hunted the Northern last year and didn't really see whole lot. Went up to Eau Claire for the weekend this year. Seemed to be quite a few deer in that area. I missed a doe at about 85 yards but my buddy took a nice 7+ year old 8 pointer. It was his first deer. I think he set the bar a little high.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

Big Ol Gobbler

I hunt in the northern unit. I have family that lives up there and they know the woods pretty well. Tell your buddy congrats on the buck.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations to your friend on the buck. I did see a lot of flat tops on the backs of cars when I ran into town this morning on business.

Quick Reply: Cold but fun weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.