Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 1st deer of the season >

1st deer of the season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st deer of the season

Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st deer of the season

Not a great deer but it will eat good. Plus I had to take this guy out of the gene pool with that screwed up little rack. It was cold in Southern Illinois Friday morning and windy. I seen three deer Fri. and all were too far away to shoot. One was a real nice 10 pointer. Nobody got him so hopefully I'll have another chance at him second season in two weeks. This one came in through the thicket to my left about 45 minutes before quiting time Saturday. He aproched the 4 strand barb wire fence and was looking at it as to decide if to jump it or crawl under it. As he stood there I made the decision for him. I put the cross hare on the side of his neck/shoulder and fired ( he was facing me ) He ran about 15 yards and fell over. Back at my buddies house I was commenting on how I wished I could recover one of these Barnes 300gr MZ Expanders and while I was washing out the body cavity with the hose I seen a bright copper item. I couldn't have been happier to recover that bullet. The bullet traveled along the ribs and lodged in the lower leg. Heart and lungs were gone, no damage to thestomach or intestines thank god.........CVA Wolf, Nikon 2x7x32 Pro Staff, 300gr Expander, 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, and a W209 primer. I'm saving the backstraps and the rest is going to be made into summer sausage. Pic of deer and I'll post a pic of the bullet.

Forgot to add, I'm 3 deerfor 3 shotssince getting that $100 Wolf

Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st deer of the season

Here is the Expander, pretty happy with this.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

sjsfire,
Congrats on your nice buck!I'd say your CVA Wolf is doing a good job for you. The Barnes performed perfectly and that's why I shoot them myself.
I'm still waiting for the Illinois ML season.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice shooting.. them Barnes sure do expand nice when they hit meat. That deer probably will be some of the best eating. That size is just plain good on the table. Congratulations on your deer and that Wolf rifle.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great firestick!!! Goodshooting. Now for thebest part, eating the tasty backstrap protein.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a fine eating buck. Hopefully I can have the same results next weekend wigth my wolf. Our ML season starts on Saturday, and runs for 3 weeks.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats! Sounds like that Wolf has paid for itself.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats-Good bullet in a good place=GOOOOD EATING

Charlie
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Good eating.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

congratulations , fine eating. Lee

Quick Reply: 1st deer of the season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.