Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last minute tag

Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Last minute tag

Been taking care of my wife with her new knee, finally got past the complications and can move around; so I got to go hunting today.
Did not see any thing, so I went out to look at my trails for tracks thenturned around to head back to the car, and this doe steps out no the trail about 70 yds in front of me and starts down the trail in the same direction I am going in so I baa ed she stopped and looked back over her shoulder and I put the 250 gr Gold Dot into her spine right in the curve of her neck with a 110gr of BH pushing it, the gun had been loaded about a month and it was 22 degrees F here this morning. No hang fires or any other such problems. Lee
Old 11-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Last minute tag

Congratulations on the doe.. that sounds like bad medicine for a deer with that bullet and charge.

Glad to hear the wife is doing better also...
Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the doe! I hit one today with my bow, not the best shot, so I am letting her lay intil morning. I did follow the blood trail for a short while, but was running out of light, so I backed out until morning. Congrats again on your doe.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee: Congrats on the doe.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the doe
Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lemoyne. glad to hear the gun went off. Been watching another thread aon a nother forum listening to guyd=s talk about hang fires, no fires and the like w/ BH209. I truly think it is the loader not the load that is not performing. I also think some of these inclement weathewr people have been in downpours and not sealed the breech and barrel as needed.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

congrats.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Lemoyne. glad to hear the gun went off. Been watching another thread aon a nother forum listening to guyd=s talk about hang fires, no fires and the like w/ BH209. I truly think it is the loader not the load that is not performing. I also think some of these inclement weathewr people have been in downpours and not sealed the breech and barrel as needed.
BH needs a hot primer, tight sabots and a lot of seating pressue, just like smokeless powder. Agree getting goun soaked like Sat Nov 15 in the North East will cause issues, just too much rain and moisture, best to unload that night after hunting that Sat, what a mess.
Chap
Old 11-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Been taking care of my wife with her new knee, finally got past the complications and can move around; so I got to go hunting today.
Did not see any thing, so I went out to look at my trails for tracks thenturned around to head back to the car, and this doe steps out no the trail about 70 yds in front of me and starts down the trail in the same direction I am going in so I baa ed she stopped and looked back over her shoulder and I put the 250 gr Gold Dot into her spine right in the curve of her neck with a 110gr of BH pushing it, the gun had been loaded about a month and it was 22 degrees F here this morning. No hang fires or any other such problems. Lee
Congrads, sounds like an easy drag also, does are the best eating for steaks etc, so that was a blessing also.
Chap
Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buck Hunter 1
Well I like to be sure so I ran my own tests before I switched.
After finding the way the Triumph shot best, IE tight sabot CCI mag primer and leaning on the ramrod with half my 200 pounds one time after the bullet was seated.
Test #1 was a trip to the freezer over night. result excellent accuracy no problem firing.
Test two, load as for hunting seal the 209 by waxing around the sides and the barrel with a piece of saran wrap and a rubber band [ I use these methods because it is easy to fix up the stuff to carry in the field to reseal after reloading] took it out and watered it good with the garden hose and let it set under the sprinkler for half an hour.
Result, instant fire, righton POI.
I have read where some people have had problems,I suspect a lot of these fall into two categories, the ones that have marginal set up like some of the Knights and either not loaded or not sealed the way we would. Lee

Quick Reply: Last minute tag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.