Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gun rest question

Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Gun rest question

Ok, I dont really know how to explain this, but I will try. I bought a gun rest a while back, (dont remember what kind it is) it has the bubble to level it from side to side, but nothing from front to back. It has the sling in the back so I can set the gun right in it and shoot off that, with the small bag on the front. It has adjustments from side to side, and one in the back to adjust the level from front to back. Ok, question is do I set the gun in there so it is level from front to back, or doesnt that really matter. In my mind, if I sight the gun in with the gun on the rest, and have it so it is level front to back, it might be different when I shoot off hand. I know this is kind of hard to understand, and is probably a stupid question, but I am really new to all of this. I am going to the range today after lunch, so any help before that would be great. Thanks a ton!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun rest question

Canting the gun from side to side will change thepoint of impact slightly, unless the cant is the same for each shot. Not being level front to back should have no effect so long as the sights are on target.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The angle from front to back is dictated by the height of,and distance to the target, and the height of the bench. As long as you're shootingfrom a "normal" range setup, don't sweat it.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, thanks for he help guys. Lunch time cant get here fast enough.[8D] Heading out after lunch!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the same set up . Left to right is to level the the front legs. The dial is as explained in a previous post. This is for sigt in only and mechanical. When you get on the shooting sticks you iw;ll have confidence inj the zero of the weapon rest is on you!