Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Some questions about a project >

Some questions about a project

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some questions about a project

Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some questions about a project

Last night a friend broughtover his 2 MLers for me to check out and see if I could get them working properly. He hasn't shot them in nearly 2 years due to issues with each of them.

Gun #1 is a TC New Englander in 54 cal. His complant is that it has never shot without a delay fire, sometimes as much as 4 to 5 seconds, sometimes just the cap goes off and nothing else. I dropped my bore light down the barrel just to see what the bore was like and it looks like there is some light corrosion in a spiderweb like pattern most of the way down the bore, that should polish out with a good cleaning and maybe some JB's bore paste. When I shine a flashlight down the bore I can see what looks like a light green color at the breach, I'm not sure what that is but hopefully a good cleaning will get that out also. I have not had a chance to pull the nipple and inspect that area yet but suspect there is some corrosion in thatthere that is possibly the cause of the delays. There does not seem to be a cleanout screw on the side of the bolster but there is a small screw on the top of thebarrel in the area above where the fire channel would be. Does anyone know what that screw is for? Any thoughts about what else to check?

My understanding is that he has had this gun looked at by a gunsmith and nothing was found to be wrong with it but it still has delays in the main charge going off. I told my friend that if a good cleaning and inspection does not fix it that I would suggest sending it back to TC and let them fix it, so that is the plan so far.

Gun #2 is an Armi Sport 1853 3 band Enfield 58 cal. His complaint is that it shoots well but is several inches low at 50 yards and he could not figure out how to adjust it up. Turns out that the rear sight is missing the slide part of the flip up sight ladder. The slide is used to adjust the sight in both the up and down positions and without it the down position is to far down, thus the low POI. I need to find a new slide or new complete sight to fix this problem. Any one have a good source for this part? I have found one at Dixie Gun Works but was wondering if there are any other places that carry them.

I can't wait to try these guns out, especially the Enfield. That should be a blast.

Thanks for any help you guys can send my way.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Some questions about a project

The small screw on top of the New Englander bbl is the 3rd screw for TCs scope base adapter. Also the 2 screws on the rear sight are used( the screw holes, 3of them). I would replace the nipple and give it a good scrubbing. Use a fuzzy pipe cleaner when the nipple is removed. I clean one end of the nipple w/a pipe cleaner and run a large needle or fine wire through the nipple.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Also some rifles are just stuborn. Pour some dish soap down the barrel and then fill it with boiling water. Sometimes if people use a lot of bore butter it ends up filling the fire channel. If the water comes through the nipple fine, then dry it and blow air from a compressor through the nipple port.

It might be something as simple as he used old caps, bad powder or not the right powder. It would be interesting to know what kind of powder he was shooting out of that .54. I have the same rifle and it shoot fine. I use Goex Black Powder or Graf's & Sons black powder. Try some black powder in it, with a good cap if the bolster is clear.

Thumper is right about what the rear screw is for. It is for a tang site or base plate to mount their scope.

As for the other part, if you can't make one then you have to buy it. I would have guessed Dixie Gun works had them.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info.

That's pretty much what I'm planning on doing, just clean it out good and run some tests on it. I'll have to ask if he remembers what has been put in there, the only history he gave me was that he got it from somebody in trade or for some work he had done for them. The outside of the barrel looks to be in good condition and I only see a small amount of surface rust on the hammer face which transfered to the lip of the nipple. If I have time tonight I will try to give it a hot soapy water bath and verify I can blow air through it as well as run some brushes and stuff through the fire channel. I also have a fiber optic flashlight gizmo that I can feed in there to see if Isee lightfrom the muzzle.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would suspect a nipple problem, or as Dave suggests, some gunk in the flash channel. My New Englander lights off instantly with GOEX, Pyrodex and T7 FFFG. It has the TC short nipple on it.

As I recall, Corey had ignition problems with his New Englander, but I don't remember if or how he solved the problem.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I got a chance to do a hot soapy water cleanlast night. There is no obstruction in the fire channel and no rust under the nipple. The nipple looks nearly new and appears to be a hot shot nipple (has the 2 vent holes in it). The amount of corrosion in the barrel is definatly going to require some JB's and elbow grease. At this point I don't see any reason for hang fires so I'm going to guess that it is the caps or the powder he was using. I have some Goex in 2F and 3F and some good #11 caps and will try those as soon as I can get to the range. Between now and then I will try to clean up the bore corrosion and get it into shape for some testing. I will also try to get some pictures together and post them for your enjoyment.