Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 DIY measured powder charge holder >

DIY measured powder charge holder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

DIY measured powder charge holder

Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default DIY measured powder charge holder

While at the local Bass Pro Shop to pick up some new sabots and powder, got to looking at the selection of speed loaders available. Came to the conclusion that most of these things on the market are grossly overpriced. When I got back home, I started rummaging through some stuff and came up with this. Besides being easy to make, it's practically free! All you need is a 3cc syringe container with the end cap (available from your doctor or a local vet) and one of those compressable ear plugs. Works perfect for 100gr of Pyrodex RS - could possibly hold 120gr.

All you need to do is put the ear plug in thenarrow end, pull the end cap off and pour in your powder. To load your rifle, just remove the ear plug and pour the powder into barrel.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DIY measured powder charge holder

wow a great show of ingenuity.

one thing i used instead of buying one of those power belt quick loaders was the tubes that came with my pyrodex pellets. they can be cut down to size, have a secure but easy to remove top, and fit perfectly into any type of rifle cartridge sling for easy transport on the field
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: DIY measured powder charge holder

It is amazing all the things you can make at home and then you do not have to purchase the store junk which many times is inferior to the home made. For instance I bought a bikini scope cover. First time I used it, it ripped. So I made one out of duct tape that not only works fine, but all the fowling can be wiped off with a simple cleaner.

Lane sold some powder tubes, and for the price he was selling they were too good of a deal to pass on. They work perfect for me.