Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Clean up question...... >

Clean up question......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean up question......

Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Clean up question......

I cleaned the heck out of my Knight last time I shot. It was a few weeks ago. I checked it today and found some "ashy" residue in the barrel. I swabbed it and my barrel was PERFECT. What was the ash from? Was it my "crud ring"?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Clean up question......

I would not think so.. your crud ring would have came out when you cleaned it. What did you put in the barrel to protect it? Also was the rifle in a place where there as a lot of dust? I have a cabinet in the wood stove room where I store some rifles and it always amazes me how much dust they collect from that filty wood stove heater...
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I use Windex between shots and after. I hit the barrell with Break Free Barrell Blaster (Citrus)...Then Bore Butter to finish.

I keep my guns in a safe in the bedroom.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Windex between shots is a good thing. And I never used that Citrus barrel blast, but I would guess that is some good stuff. Still, let me guess that the "ash" that you might be finding could be small fragments of bore butter. Bore Butter is a wax.

I really can not say for sure that the stuff your findingis bore butter. BUT as most people on the forum know, I am not a bore butter user and I do not endorse it in my muzzleloaders. Still my attitude with a lot of things is, your rifle, do as you like. Personally I would boil that bore butter out of the rifle and then use a quality gun oil to protect my rifle barrel. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

MoNoFletch

I use Windex between shots and after. I hit the barrell with Break Free Barrell Blaster (Citrus)...Then Bore Butter to finish.
Basically I do the same thing, only I use Zep Citrus - Cleaner/Degreaser - and instead of BB - I use the new TC T-17 patches on a hot/warm DRY barrel... They do not apply the lube much more evenly that tryingto get BB in the barrel evenly.

Couple things I would also suggest.... after your application of BB then go back in with a dry swab, a couple of them infact and remove all the excess you can. Let the barrel sit until it is completely cool (room temp) then dry patch again and for the final step use a quality bore oil in the bore. If you plan on shooting again in a short period of time just use a very light coat of oil... if you plan to store the gun for an extended time br a little more liberal with the oil in the bore.

A lot of people do not like the use of BB or any natural lube and will tell it is worthless. I do not use it for rust prevention, but I do use it for reduction of fowling and I believe it and the use of a synthetic gun oilmight be one of the reasons that I do not fight the T7 'crud ring' or terrible fouling. I have even begain using the T17 patches in my Trap shotguns - makes a ton of difference in the chokes and how much plastic they capture...

I can not come up with a good explanation of the 'white stuff'

underclocked's 'crud ring' is a baked on ring around the bore just above the breech....

Just thought of something, I assumed you were using T7 because you mentioned 'crud ring' - what powder are you shooting? The reason I ask is the old APP and it's look alike powders did/do leave a white ash type residue...

Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

MoNoFletch

Just thought of another question for you... do you think the white ashey stuff was in the whole length of the barrel or just the top end of the bore?

Nutter question, do you have a bore light? of course with te BP out you would not need a bore light to look at the bore.

How long was the gun stored?

Shoot! better quit I keep coming up with more questions...
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

The 'ASH' was were the "crud ring" should be. I do use T7. I have swabbed with regular Break Free as a finish, but this close to hunting I thought I'd use the Butter because of smell.

Gun is stored 'standing' with the muzzle up. My bore is like a mirror!!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

MoNoFletch

Sounds to me like 'problem solved'