Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new mzl queston

Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new mzl queston

FG

Guess I thought you would already know...

but for all Tradition break opens:

The maximum load of powder is 150 grains of loose or pellet powder, be it BP or Pyro.

The maximum load of T7 loose is 130 grains

This information was taken from the Traditions site - which you can look up and verify.

There are no weight limits established for sabotted projectiles or conicals in their maunal.

This comes from the Genesis manual..

WARNING! ONLY 2F OR FFG Black Powder, PYRODEX® RS, or TRIPLE SEVEN® FFG should

be used in this rifle.
[align=left]This muzzleloading rifle is designated for use with a maximum powder charge of 150 grains of
FFG Black Powder, Pyrodex
® RS loose powder or 130 grains Triple Seven® FFG loose powder.
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]And again no limitations of sabot size or conical size... this information is available online @or you can ask Dave since he has a manual[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]http://www.remington.com/pdfs/ispmanuals/genesis.pdf[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Does that give you the information that you need FG
[/align]
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
FG

no projectile limits? Thats a bit scary seeing how its a soft material barrel.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Spike

ok guys i just wanna know if the remington is a good mzl or if i would be happier goin with a knight i found a used knight disc camo mzl for 280 is that a good deal thanx again
Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

xi32

Ah Gees! why did you have to go and ask that question???

maybe this will be easier than I am thinking.... Which disc is it? is it one of the new Disc elites or Extremes? If so they are awful hard to beat. If it is one of the older Disc's then maybe it might be toss up - but remember new is new and used is used. Will you get to inspect this disc prior to buying?

On the surface I think I wouldpurchase a Knight Disc Elite or Extrem before I would purchase a Rem Genesis, but without seeing what you have in mind that is a difficult call.

So in effect I have not helped a bit...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

So in effect I have not helped a bit...
Yeah, but you did it with STYLE.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Spike

im not sure wich it is and i will be looking at it before i buy im real picky before i buy thats why i ask so many questions i just want to get the best for my money and i really dont want to spend over 400 which i realize might be hard to do thanx for your help. and my cousin and i both were using powerbelts and not having good penetration at all wonderig if you new a good bullet i will be shooting 100 grains of pyro pellets again thanx for your help i appreciate it
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

A knight rifle is a hard rifle to beat. They are good shooters.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xi32

hi guys im in the market for a new mzl i want one with a full stainless steel barrel ive looked at the remington and theve only got a stainless coating i want a actual stainless barrel was wonderinf if the cva is a stainless coating or just stainless barrel like the tc or knight thanx also im shooting a 245 grain bullet right now with 100 grain powder if i change 295 will i have 2 shoot 150 grains of powder
I have a Savage with a stainless barrel, $550 for a gun that shoots BP, BP subs (777, Blackhorn, etc) and smokeless (5744, 4198, yata). The good thing about the Savage durning long hunting seasons, is you can shoot smokeless the whole season and never clean your gun. I am shooting smokeless at 2350 fps (about 350 fps faster than most Mag MLers) with a 300g Barnes Orginal bullet, it really realy thumps deer.
Chap
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

xi32

Can not even tell howm many guys behing a counter do not know what they are talking about all the time, .
Boy ain't that the truth..... Usually after the first 1 or 2 questions I ask, I can pretty well determine if this guy knows his stuff or if he belongs in the outer wear department. Some guys you just want to slap upside the head for being so stupid.
Well anyway.. regardless of that. Just remember that even if you buy a stainless barrel, you are still going to have to maintain it as you would a chrome moly barrel. You might get away with a little more time before cleaning but the stainless will corrode just the same.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Spike

Most of those people don't know alot especially about the make up metals or the process of coating. I am no expert, but I do know a little. You cannot coat with stainless to my knowledge. Most barrels are made of high carbon steel. Then some get a coating ie. nickle, black oxide, or wheather shield. And then there is the stainless barrel. These barrels have carbon steel in them to help with the machining, since stainless is a gummy type of metal. When I bought my Omega I opted for the stainless because of the more forgiveness in cleaning. Now I know you just can't forget about it and it is just as important. I am glad I bought my new ML and I can't wait to finnish building my Traditions Hawkins.