Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 broke another loading tip >

broke another loading tip

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

broke another loading tip

Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default broke another loading tip

I bought a couple cheapy tc ramrods for make shift range rods. I had the 2 tc brass jigs. I had one break off when I was trying to sight in my tc new englander (ended up have to swab between shot while sighting in with powerbelts). the other while cleaning my usak after my morning hunt. (it is swicky clean ).

now I don't have any backup ramrods do to the fact there is a chuck of metal stuck in them.

any ideas how to get them out.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: broke another loading tip

A lot of times you put a drop of oil on the chunk of metal and then take a sharp nail, like a finishing nail. Press down and slowly turn. Once you get enough of the end out of the rod, grab it with a wire cutter and finish removing it.

When you clean, swab, or load, pay attention to them jags. They will often times try to turn themselve out of the rod. If they get too far out, they can bend or break off. So out of habit, before I load, swab, what ever, I grab the cleaning jag, give it a twist is all, and make sure it is tight.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's correct. I've gone to the spin jag and it helps solve that backing out problem a lot. I still check it out of habit and have found it to come loose once in a while.
Another way you can try is to try drilling a 1/16" hole in the center of the stud maybe 3/32" or so deep and tap a nail in GENTLY or a 1/16" hex wrench and turn it out. The only problem is that if it had backed out before it snapped, it may try to screw back in when you are drilling.
One thing that I've done - if it is the ramrod with the threaded end that slips over the ramrod - is to get a 3" 10-32 screw and run it down the threads until it bottoms out. Then grab the screw head with a pair of Vise Grips and while heating the end of the brass fitting with a lighter or candle begin turning the screw in. The glue holding the end on will soften and you will be able to turn that screw in and it will push the fitting off the ramrod. it helps to have the ramrod in a vise to hold it in place and keep it from twisting.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

well crap, I gotta pick up an 1/16" let my dad use my last one I had and it snapped.

I have one more loading tip left other then what is on my short starter. may break down and get a spin jig

or add an good range rod to my christmas list