Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 stupid stupid stupid >

stupid stupid stupid

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

stupid stupid stupid

Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default stupid stupid stupid

guess I get an F on this test.

this is what happen.

anterless day in my part of va
get up early for my first early morning hunt. 30mins after day break a doe and a yearling pass by at 100+ yrds.

first mistake. going after the yearling, it was old enough to take care of itself at this point.
second. shooting at an distance I have not shot that much at with the load I was using.
third, shooting into head winds of 5 to 10 mph. with gust of 15 to 20mph.
forth, mother nature this time. got hit with an gust of wind right when I pulled the trigger
gun
knight usak
load
75grs of triple 7 with an 245gr at
tasco scope

est. distance 100 to 110 yrds uphill

oh well, they will live another day.

I blame myself on taking this shot.
stupid stupid stupid
Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 AM

Default RE: stupid stupid stupid

Well we all do dumb things from time to time....You were probably
all excited and anxious...Did you check to see if you-might- have
made a hit? One should do this...I shot a nice doe one time and
thought I had missed her...When walking back to the camp,I found
blood and soon a nice big doe..Of course this was all in a matter
of 3 to 4 hours time....She never gave a sign of being hit..

You will get another chance so don't beat yourself up too bad...It
just wasn't your day as some say...Good luck and get out there..
Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I checked for a blood trail about 45 to an hour later. saw nothing. but I was coming back in for another spot looked up the hill above where I took the shot. I am going to glass it and head up. stopped about 10yrds from I took the shot. I saw really dark fur spot. thought it was a limb shading there.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Well that is a shame. It sounds like until you're more sure of your load, rifle, and abilities, you might have to wait for something closer to come in.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think would of came closer they where on a beline for the woods just stopping here and there.

now there is a second part of the story. funny too

I just got back in for looking for any sign. ran into another hunter. he was looking for a big buck he shot. got talking. finished up.

started looking again. when to the place where I took the shot. did not see anything but poop. so started walking back across the field saw something out of the corner of my eye.

2 does go running right by me. and I had no gun. left it to go crawling thou thick stuff.

maybe the ones I saw this morning. I don't know.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I was taught that lesson many years ago.. when you don't have a rifle, the deer will come out. Now I even take a rifle to the outhouse.

I actually once knew a fellow (we called him Fast Eddie)that used the outhouse as a deer blind. No kidding. He was a very old fellow, and he took one of them heater buddies in there with him. And he'd sit in there for hours, looking out the side window. Strange thing is, he used to get deer (he'd bait with corn about 40 yards out the side of thing which is perfectly legal). We used to tease him, but he just laughed. He said he lost his sense of smell a long time ago so the stink didn't bother him, in winter everything is froze solid and don't really stink anyway, the seat was comfortable, it was warm, and with his bowels he was not taking any chances...
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Dave - I hope you guys made him take his clothes off before coming into the cabin??
Don't worry Corey - You get your deer. Just be persistant.
And speaking of seeing "fur". The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. My friend and I walked down an old logging road for about 1/2 mile to where it split. He went up and I went down. The split I took made sort of a slow horseshoe turn. As I came around the turn I looked back and saw something that didn't quite look right. Definately had the color of a deer. But it couldn't be. I just walked past it at 35 yds. I looked through my scope and it sure looked like deer fur at the 50 -60 yds. I cranked the scope up to 9X and stared and stared at this spot trying to figure out what it was. Then HE lifted his head to lick his back. Turned out I was looking at his front shoulder for the past 3 or 4 mins. I settled the crosshairs a bit higher on the chest because he was laying down and squeezed off the shot. That 8 pointer never got up from his bed. He was laying up against a log and thought he was safe. I wonder how many hunter he had left go past him.?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am, I have 4 more weeks to go. 2 rifle that opens this sat. and another 2 of late muzzy

more if I get the chance to get over to the other side of the state. 45mins away. have a friend that has 100 acres over there.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot a buck once that was a spot of fur. I was in a stand on the edge of a HUGE cornfield. I got there before first light. And I was glassing the wood line watching one draining ditch about 250yards awaythat was wooded between two fields. They liked to come out the end of the thing, cross the field, and hopefully run to me.

I had my Ruger 7mm mag that day (as we did extreme long shots here) and as I glassed, I swore I saw a brown twitch out of the corner of my eye. So I slowly turned my head and studied the field.. nothing. Went to look away, and there it was again. So I brought the rifle scope up and looked at it on 9x and here was a buck laying between the rows of the picked corn and what I saw twitch was his ear and head move. He was about 100 yards away from me. He was laying flat on the ground like a dog, with is head straight out.

He finally raised up his head and looked around and I could see the horns on him. And he was a shooter. So I aimed at his neck and he never got up.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 AM
FG

Now Corey, Am i gonna have to slap you or what?

Sorry to hear about the miss. Those suck badly.

Quick Reply: stupid stupid stupid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.