Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rust in breech area >

Rust in breech area

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust in breech area

Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rust in breech area

Went through some old guns I had and came across a Traditions 1:32 twist 50 cal inline I had bought a few years back and when I received it it was loaded with pellets and a bullet. When I got it I cleaned the heck out of it and fixed it up with new fiber sites and replaced the breech plug. The barrel shines and still has deep rifling. Today I took it apart and was thinking on using it this weekend on our gun season opener when I noticed that the breech area has a surface rust around the new plug and is in the threads. I used a wire brush and solvents then applied silicon sprayed onto a patch. That seemed to work and get some of it out. The plug fits nice and there is no sticking that I can feel. Anyone use anthing special for cleaning the threads on their inline?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM
FG

Default RE: Rust in breech area

54cal bore brush and then a 54cal bore mop. Spray the insides of the threads with windex and wrap a bit of paper towel around my finger and get it as dry as i can.

What kind of breech plug grease are you using?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I'm using Traditions grease that's sold in a syringe. I use it on all my other guns with no problems but this gun I got was abused but I have turned it into near new condition minus the breech area that was rusted.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

To clean the threads of the rifle.. I like to get some hot water and dip a breech brush in there. Pour some hot water over the threads. Then place that wet breech brush part way, starting in the threads.. Now put a good squirt of dish soap on that brush and work that back and fourth and spin it clockwise until I work up a heavy foam lather. Then pull the breech brush and flush the area with more hot water. A small flashlight I then use and I inspect the threads to make sure there is no fowling on any of them.

After that I take some cloth patches and I put alcohol on one and work that over the threads of the breech. I then start a few dry patches until those threads are clean and dry. After that I like to put an oil patch over the in the threads. Then when I apply the cleaned breech plug back in, with a good thick coat of Slick 50 One Grease, I know the threads were cleaned, dried, oiled and now coated with grease. I never had a rust problem yet..
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

I store my breech plugs out of the gun in the off season I have a plastic box to put them in. i lube the threads on the gun with sheath or breakfree.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

i use Permatex white lithium grease.