Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Two fouling shots ??? >

Two fouling shots ???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Two fouling shots ???

Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Two fouling shots ???

Took the Omega out today, no wind so I thought a good day tosee if I could get by with out any fliers.

The rifle was fired about two days ago with bh 209 so I cleaned with hoppes 9, then dry patch, then some remoil, then dry patch again.

Just wanted to see if this was a good procedure for hunting. First shot was the closest to the center, second was the farthest away, after that every one was in the group. I even fired another one after I took the picture and it was in there also. Another jug of bh 209 empty.

I've noticed this before, The second shot is out of the group, Don't know why ??????

This was at 100 yds. Anybody else have a similar experience with 209 ?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Two fouling shots ???

Aw, you just got excited about where that first shot hit and blew the second one. Good shooting there! It's the first shot that counts. (No, I have not had a similar experience with 209. [:-])
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

(No, I have not had a similar experience with 209. [:-])
Ya know semi, you really, reallydo need to try this stuff
Old 11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pretty sure I asked nicely when I asked you guys to stop talikng about this BH209 powder. I really do not want to spend any more money??Tom.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Finally saw some in a shop up north of ,2hr drive. $36.00 plus!! Too rich for my retired tastes!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Spike

DPHobby,
I have seen the 1st shot on a clean barrel go high, but not the 2nd shot. I think that the oil adds just enough resistance to increase the bullet (in the barrel) dwell time so that the barrel recoils higher by the time the bullet exits the barrel.
You might want to consider de-greasing your barrel then swabbing with WD-40, followed by 2 dry patches. That would offer some short term rust protection with minimal bullet resistance compared to a dry or fouled barrel. It would be good to check POI on each of the first 3 shots to see if there is a definite pattern.
Easiest though, is to foul your barrel 1-7 days before your season and then not clean the barrel till after the season. Only if you are using BH 209 powder though!!
Good Luck and good hunting.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM

I always had a flier on my first shot until Dave talked me into fouling it before hand. My Optima definately prefers a dirty barrel.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I dont use Rem oil in my BH209 guns. I use Shield or Barrier for normal use and Synthetic oil for longer term. Lee
Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

i hunt with a clean barrel and my guns are sighted in for that. My Encore makes very small tight groups with 100 grains of 777 and the 250 grain SST but only when the barrel is thoroughly scrubbed between shots.With a dirty barrel it makes 6-8" groups with that load. When using 110 grains Goex Pinnacle the first shot from a clean barrel is1.5" higher than that from a dirtybarrel and i can live with that.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I'm telling you I get great groups, dirty clean whatever using the 110 BH209. I might be crazy but I had to fould a barrel w/ the T7 loose and pellets to get accuracy. It seems to me the more I shot the BH209 the tighter the groups get. I was not waiting in between rounds for the barrel to cool. Just loading and shooting at a leisurely pace.

Quick Reply: Two fouling shots ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.