Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just got it

Old 11-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Just got it

I just got a new CVA Optima Pro magnum 50 cal. muzzleloader. 29 inch barrle 1in28 twist. I have used pyradex before with 200gr. lead bullet and couldn't get a good pattern. Any sugestions on what to use bullet and powder wise with this gun?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just got it

Congrats on the new gun
Lots of good choices
In my Encore right now I am shooting
90 grain BH 209 / 200 grain Scockwave with supplied blue sabot / w 209 primer.
I have small deer and rarely do I have a shot over 100 yards.

You will find other Optima shooters on here,I have one but have not worked up a load yet,I'll let you know when i do.
PM FG he will get you going.

We can talk all day,just shoot it
Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Congrats on the new gun. My regular Optima likes 90g of 777 loose and 300g xtp with crush ribbed sabot. I use the 777 primers. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 PM
FG

Mine shoots the 240gr xtp in black short mmp12 sabot with 100gr Pyrodex P and Winchester w209 primers great, along with 80-90gr pyro P with 348gr powerbelts, 90gr RS and a 385gr hornady great plains conical. These are not picky rifles and its a lot easier to buy a package of different conicals and load up and go out shooting. Sabots you will have to play around with different sabots to find which fits the barrel and offers the best accuracy.