Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Old School Muzzleloaders >

Old School Muzzleloaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old School Muzzleloaders

Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Old School Muzzleloaders

Ever since I joined this site I don't think I have heard much talk about anyone deer hunting with a flintlock muzzleloader. When I was growing up my family belonged to a longrifle muzzleloading club. We would have monthly competition shoots and about four times a year we wouldhave aprimative Rendezvous.I learned how to shoot a flintlock at about the same time I learned how to shoot a modern gun.I have a .58 cal flinter with acurrly maple stockthat I have been hunting with for a while now.

Does anyone else on herehunt with atraditional muzzleloader? I know there has got to be someone out there that does?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Old School Muzzleloaders

Cap lock is a traditional as I have hunted with.

A few on the forum shoot flint locks, and hunt with them too.

I'd like to hear if anyone has shot or hunted with a match lock.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 PM
FG

traditional muzzleloaders are my favorite.

This years back up rifle is a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle .54 with curly maple stock,

First deer with a Traditions Kentucky .50cal flinter and 40 yard head shot with 110gr 3f goex and .490 round ball

Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Cap lock is a traditional as I have hunted with.

A few on the forum shoot flint locks, and hunt with them too.

I'd like to hear if anyone has shot or hunted with a match lock.
Yeah I would be interested to know if anyone hunts with a match lock. That would be pretty cool. That is a nice muzzleloader buck you got there FG. My father has taken quite a few deer with his flintlocks. It takes a lot to patience to make sure that powder stays dry.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I've hunted with Flintlocks, cap locks and inline rifles. Today I was shooting a cap lock that was just a real sweet rifle to shoot. With a 1-66 twist ball barrel it was pounding a bull at 50 yards. I shot all afternoon with it. I could use that to hunt my woods any day of the week, and probably will give it a day or two in the woods.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

This will be my first yearhunting with a flintlock D Rock, and I'm some excited about it. I hope to be posting a picture of my first flintlock deer some time after Nov. 8th.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Cap lock is as traditional as I go. The ML season here is first week of Dec. Usually snow is a big issue by then. My friend was reloading his frizzen every hour last year to keep a dry charge with the blowing snow everywhere.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's all I own is caplocks and flintlocks and pretty much all I hunt with (+archery) anymore. My rifles are collecting dust in my safe.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

4 percussion guns two flint 54 lyman and a Pen 50 by TC don't know what I will hunt with probably all of them in the 20 day season.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 PM

Traded my inline for a T/C flintlock over the summer, and took my first deer with it during Kentucky's early mz weekend earlier this month.

I did like the inline, it's a good rifle (NEF Sidekick), but have found my muzzleloading nirvana with the rocklock. Hoping to scrape up enough cash to get a smoothbore flinter before next spring turkey season, so the pump action shotgun can take up space in the gun cabinet next to my cartridge rifles.

Quick Reply: Old School Muzzleloaders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.