Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope Choice and Powder >

Scope Choice and Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Choice and Powder

Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope Choice and Powder

I have to admit, I have been away from muzzleloading for 6 years, haven't even seen my collection in that long either, so My wife is buying me a Omega ZC package.

I used to shoot black powder exclusively, but this time I am trying pyrodex pellets, I have done some reading on the forum, and seems most still like the loose. so how are the pellets?
Looks like I will be using shock wave super gluide 250 grain sabots.

Now scopes, My initial thought is to shoot open sights, but maybe if I can get the right scope I will put one on. Haven't had that much good luck with muzzleloader scopes, actually all my other muzzleloaders have peep sights, and only one has a scope. So what is a quality scope that holds together?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Choice and Powder

Nikon Omega BDC, bult for pellets. Super glide sabots are loose in the TC;s.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Buck hunter, What do you mean buy loose ( I may regret asking this) are they physically loose? just feel that way going down? or can you actaully turn the gun upside down and tap the barrel and get the sabot to come off the powder? This is good info for myself, I shot sabots before, but I always shot MMP sabots and precision bullets. My wife is supposed to pick the items up I think Tuesday or Wednesday, so I can have her not get them if need be, and get the regular shockwaves.

How are the Power Belts?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I shot the Superglide shockwaves in my Omega with good results when I was shooting 777 powder. But I would get her to buy the regular sabots and shoot BH209 powder. Probably around 90 gr. This powder is amazing. I just finished my first jug this weekend. I love shooting this powder.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Spike

I have been using the regular ShockWave sabots in 300gr. and 250gr. with Shockey's Gold Stick powder in my Encore and they seem to work great. I have friends that tried the superglide sabots and they did not group as well but that may be just a gun preference thing. I was using Pyrodex pellets but they were super dirty. The Shockey's is much cleaner burning, no sulfur smell, and much easier to clean up. When they say you can use water and a brush to clean it, they mean it.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using the regular ShockWave sabots in 300gr. and 250gr. with Shockey's Gold Stick powder in my Encore and they seem to work great.

My Encore works really well with Shockey's Gold: Killed a couple deer and severalhogs using Shockey's gold and the 250 Grain SST/Shockwave.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
mountaineer magic

My Triumph and Omega are so tight that I can hardly get a regular shockwave in them. I shoot Superglides with great groups all the way out to 200 yards using 777

Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

The real problem is, there is no standard in muzzleloader barrels for the most part. Granted some companies are a little more strict on standards, but over all it is a buyer gets what they get.

When you get your Omega, clean it good and DO NOT PUT BORE BUTTER IN IT.. no matter what T/C says. As for pellets, they will work, but loose powder will work as good, maybe better, and is a lot more cost effective. Save your money, buy loose powder and the money you save, invest in the next grade Omega.

Get some Shockwaves in Super Glide, they will work but if you do not get good accuracy, before you condemn the Shockwave get some low height .452 Harvester sabots and change the bullets over to them if the super glide load too loose. You might also want to get a pack of each and then you can know what the rifle likes..

Good luck with your rifle. Be sure to swab the barrel between shots. And take your time with the rifle. Sometimes they do not come around the first time out. Keep us posted.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

I have to admit, I have been away from muzzleloading for 6 years, haven't even seen my collection in that long either, so My wife is buying me a Omega ZC package.

I used to shoot black powder exclusively, but this time I am trying pyrodex pellets, I have done some reading on the forum, and seems most still like the loose. so how are the pellets?
Looks like I will be using shock wave super gluide 250 grain sabots.

Now scopes, My initial thought is to shoot open sights, but maybe if I can get the right scope I will put one on. Haven't had that much good luck with muzzleloader scopes, actually all my other muzzleloaders have peep sights, and only one has a scope. So what is a quality scope that holds together?
My brother uses pyrodex pellets in his encore and does not get the 777 crud ring. It is a good powder, much cheaper than 777 or Blackhorn. I have an Omega, I am going to shoot Barnes MZ 300g in it with 100g of Blackhorn 209, before that this year in my Omega I shot 2 777 pellets and Nosler 300g Partition HGor 100g of 777 loose. I have shotAmerican Pioneer powderand got excellent groups and also pyrodex pellets. About anypowder works well in the Omega, as do most bullets if you get a good fitting tight sabot. The ShockWave is noted for accuracy, but sometime long trailing jobs.

I use Bushnell 3200 Elite Firefly for my muzzies, 3x9, but 2x7 Nikons are good as well, depends on what you wanna spend. Chap
Best Wishes
Chap
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM

When you get your Omega, clean it good and DO NOT PUT BORE BUTTER IN IT
[quote]ORIGINAL: cayugad

lol he doesnt change his mo at all does he

Quick Reply: Scope Choice and Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.