Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 For the CVA Wolf Guys >

For the CVA Wolf Guys

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

For the CVA Wolf Guys

Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Spike

Default For the CVA Wolf Guys

What is your preferred load of choice?

I know all guns will shoot a bit different but I'm just trying to get in the ball park. So far, I'm thinking of going with 2 pellets (80gr.) and a 245 ATPowerbelt. I've heard time and time again not to overpower them, so I figured I'd cut back on the charge a bit.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For the CVA Wolf Guys

I haven't found anything yet that my Wolf doesn't shoot well. I've shot Powerbelts, Sabertooths, XTP's with Crushed Rib sabots, and Barnes Expander MZ's with the same sabot. My hunting load is Winchester W209 primer, 2 Pyrodex 50gr pellets, 300gr Barnes MZ Expander with a Crushed Rib sabot. I'm getting 1 inch groups out to 100 yards. I prefer the Barnes solid copper bullet for hunting. In my opinion they are the best lethal bullet used with a sabot. It's all cleaned up and ready......only about 4 weeks away til my season.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

another picture

Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I bought one for my son 2 years ago, he's 11 now. That is an extremely accurate rifle. I paid $80 for it at Wal-Mart just before Christmas and he killed a doe with it last year and rolled another one last Saturday at 135 yards. It shot pretty good using 80gr 777 pellets and a Hornady XTP 240 gr bullet. I bought a case of Blackhorn 209 over the summer, we tried it in his Wolf and it tightended his group up nicely. As it's been said, it'll pretty much shoot whatever you put in it. Ain't that weird, I paid 4 times that much for my CVA Optima Pro and went through the devil to get that thing to shoot a decent group, finally CVA replaced it and the new one shoots awesome with 110 gr. BH 209, MMP-24 sabot and a Nosler .451 HP.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That Boy Can Shoot.
Congrats on a fine kill T.
Bigtimer,your a good dad.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

seen how the cva wolf shoots. both my bro in law and his oldest have one each.

rarely see used ones come up for sale.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

fenrick, should be okay. I am shooting 83 grains T7 loose w/ great success. I shoot a 250 grain TC shockwave and super glide sabot bought at MaoMart.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I used to shoot 240gr XTPs w/ 100gr of T7. I was getting great accuracy, but at the close ranges I usually shoot deer, the bullets were coming apart. I finally recalled that this wasn't an issue when I used to shoot 80gr of Pyrodex with the same bullet out of my old ThunderHawk and never had an issue. I have gone back to 80gr of T7 in my Wolf and the accuracy is great. I shot a doe at 20yds yesterday behind the shoulder and with a pass through, busting the other shoulder. I do plan on switching to the 250gr Gols Dots next year, but I feel confident that this set up will do just fine in most cases. Has anyone found a load that deminishes crud ring with T7 in this gun? I believe I'm getting less with the lower charge.

Mike
Old 10-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Spike

Mine shoots well with 100 gr Pyrodex RS or pellets with a 250 gr. Shockwave
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelH

I used to shoot 240gr XTPs w/ 100gr of T7. I was getting great accuracy, but at the close ranges I usually shoot deer, the bullets were coming apart. I finally recalled that this wasn't an issue when I used to shoot 80gr of Pyrodex with the same bullet out of my old ThunderHawk and never had an issue. I have gone back to 80gr of T7 in my Wolf and the accuracy is great. I shot a doe at 20yds yesterday behind the shoulder and with a pass through, busting the other shoulder. I do plan on switching to the 250gr Gols Dots next year, but I feel confident that this set up will do just fine in most cases. Has anyone found a load that deminishes crud ring with T7 in this gun? I believe I'm getting less with the lower charge.

Mike
Mike

I've found Goex Pinnacle Powder in loose 3Fg, to be crud ring free. And it produces plenty of consistent power Yes it's made by APP, but is a finer screened selection. If you are worried about moisture just put a large 2x2 inch desiccant pack into the jar This powder is my back-up to Blackhorn and another un-named powder I like allot

Quick Reply: For the CVA Wolf Guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.