Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to the forum (Gun question) >

New to the forum (Gun question)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to the forum (Gun question)

Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default New to the forum (Gun question)

Hey guys,

I've got a Cabela's Legacy that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago. It's back home in Texas (I'm stationed in Monterey, CA at the moment).

Anyway, when I got it, I was shooting 2" groups at about 75 yds right out of the box with it. It was my first (and only to date) BP rifle and I love it. I haven't shot it since then.

I'm thinking of having my parents ship it out here to me in California so I can take it out to the range and get ready for (hopefully) next year's Elk season (I'd like to take an Elk out at Hunter Liggett).

Do you guys think I'd be better off getting something else for use out here and just take it home with me when I get out? Also, do any of you guys have any experience with the Cabela's legacy?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to the forum (Gun question)

If it is shooting 2 inch groups at 75 yards.. that is a darn good start for a hunting rifle. Especially if the load is powerful enough for an elk. As for the Legacy, I never heard of it. But Cabela's names a lot of their rifles from other makers.

While it sounds like it would work fine for elk, there is nothing wrong with getting a new rifle..
Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome NateSmith. I've never heard of that one either. Is it an in-line, caplock? Caliber? Do you recall what loads you were shooting?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one about 9 years ago. I believe it was made by a chinese co. called J sports.I think it was 89$ in cabelas catalog. It was a pull back bolt style inline. It was my 1st and w/out knowing much about MLs at the time, I didnt clean or lube it properly and the breech plug seized and it rusted so bad ,the bolt would not fall foward consistantly ,when I pulled the trigger, so I scrapped it and bought a black diamond and learned how to shoot and care for a ML.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know much about it but did a search and found this on one of the forums:

Legacy Rifle Safety [/align][hr]

I used to own a Legacy 50 cal BP rifle that I got from cabelas. it seemed to be a good gun except for one problem with the safety. I found that if you mistakenly tried to fire the gun withe safty on ,it would not fire with the safety on,, but the trigger would move back and stay there. Then when I would take the gun off safety the bolt would slam forward and fire the gun without touching the trigger. Not too safe. I got rid of it.[/align]

I would see if you have this problem with an unloaded gun of course. If so you may want to see if you can find a new gun in your price range. A lot of folks enter the sport with a CVA Wolf, NEF Huntsman, or get a good used Hawken style gun. All take deer very well.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Spike

cool, thanks for the help guys. Gun works well (never had a safety problem with it). I took it apart and put it together last week when i was at home. tested the safety (had no problem with it).

it's a in-line .50 cal. I was shooting 3 of the 50 gr powder sticks using sabots and round balls. at some point, i'd like to get a Hawken or something like that. eventually, i'd like to get a TC Encore or some other nicer model. If any of you guys happens to have said used Hawken and are looking to get rid of it, i'd love to take it off your hands...... for proper compensation of course.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

A lot of them old original inlines were conical shooters. They were made for the western elk hunters and bigger game hunters,because of the need for more power and range. As for a sabot ball, if it shoots good, more power to you. I would get some maxiball and some great plains conicals and see how it shoots them.

Also you said you shoot sticks. That would mean the APP sticks. And old inline like that I would have guess had a #11 cap ignition. Does this one of yours actually take a 209 primer? Also what is the barrel twist of that one if you happen to know?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Spike

no, it took a #11 percussion cap. no idea about the twist.