Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope Lose Zero-after disassembly >

Scope Lose Zero-after disassembly

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Lose Zero-after disassembly

Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope Lose Zero-after disassembly

Just bought the Nikon BDC 250 for my Omega, planning on taking it to the range when I get back from my honeymoon.

I was thinking after reading about other posts-when i take the barrel out of the stock to clean after shooting, will my zero be affected after I put her back together--it is just held in by 2 screws-and is not free floated. The camo thumbhole stock holds my barrel like a hot dog in a bun.

The scope obviously isn't moving, but could the zero be significantly changed due to how tight I tighten the screws that hold it all together?

What have you all experienced?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scope Lose Zero-after disassembly

I have taken my Nikon on and off my rifles countless times and with no real loss of zero. I think you will be just fine.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad,

I am looking more at taking the barrel on and off for cleaning-I know there are some scope mounts that allow assembly and disassembly with a return to zero. But my scope will stay on.

My concern is with muzzle vibrations and the fact that the barrel is not free floated-differences in barrel to stock tolerances as I take the barrel in and out for cleaning over time.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

When I clean my inline rifle, I take the barrel out of the stock and the scope off the barrel. I have yet to have a rifle go bad for those reasons. Now if I were in doubt of how well the barrel was bedded, I might not do it, but my rifles seem to go back right where I took them out.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with Cayugad on this one. I can't see how taking the barrel off with the scope mounted on the barrel could have much impact on POI, althoughI would try to make sure I put the same amount of tension on those two barrel mounting screws every time I took it off and put it on.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I'm with Cayugad on this one. I can't see how taking the barrel off with the scope mounted on the barrel could have much impact on POI, althoughI would try to make sure I put the same amount of tension on those two barrel mounting screws every time I took it off and put it on.
I agree. Tighten the screws the same every time and you should be fine. I've never had one move.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is a procedure some gunsmiths use that I have used for many years and never had a problem with.
I put the rings on the mounts shoved forward [because that's what recoil will do] after they are on and tight the I put the scope in the rings and fasten it down, when I take it off the gun I clean the mounts when I put it back on the gun I shove it all the way forward before I tighten it down. Lee
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of my last 4 muzzleloaders, 3 of them could be removed from the stock and return to zero just fine; the 4th could not. The POI would shift as much as 3-4in at 100 yds. That particular gun was floated, pillars installed and bedded. Problem solved and now very accurate.

Chances are you will be ok, especially if you do some of the tricks others describe above, but there is the potential to affect zero if something about the barrel-stock contact changes. I'd at least try it once and shoot it to confirm it is ok before I did it during hunting season.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the point of impact is always affected when you remove the barreled action from the stock, and then reassemble. However it really depends on the accuracy potential you are getting from your rifle, and the accuracy you deem acceptable. I hope the fellows above accept my apology, but I have to disagree with them on this one.

I always remove my flinter from the stock, however my flinter only has one pin that holds it in the stock, and it is relatively easy to return it to the same position.

I believe when you return a barreled action to a stock that has two stock screws that you must return it to the exact same position in the stock, and you must tighten the screws in the same cadence, and to the same torque. If you do not do this then I do not see how POI could not be affected.

If you plan on beingable to accurately shoot your MZ out to 250 yards then your question is very important. If your goal is 75-100 yards then you should be able to return to a relative POI.

I believe bedding is very important in a MZ. In the Omega's I have noticed that the laminated stock rifles shoot better than the black composite stocks. Personally I believe this is due to the fact that the laminated stock is more rigid. And the rifle actually has a better stock fit. This IMO allows the barreled action to return to the same place every time you reassemble. Just my opinion. But then I am very anal about the accuracy of my MZ. Tom.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 AM

How could the POI move or shift if the scope is attached to the barrel? I could see if the scope was removed and then replaced on the barrel. In theory, you should be able to put the barrel on at any angle and still have it dead on. The bullet only touches the barrel and the scope is attached to the barrel. Why would the stock affect anything? Am I missing something here?

Quick Reply: Scope Lose Zero-after disassembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.