Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 windy season starts >

windy season starts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

windy season starts

Old 10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
FG

Default windy season starts

our famous wind storms started last night[:@] I had planned on taking at least 2 shots @ 150 yards today but that does look like its going to happen with this constant wind. Gusting from 15-20mph and changing direction every 3 seconds it seems.

Hope i can get out in late evening to take those 2 shots.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: windy season starts

Well it would be interesting to know what kind of drift you experience with a wind like that, should you ever encounter it when hunting. I like hunting in the wind. I think it helps hide your sound and when used right can assist with scent control.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
mountaineer magic

It seems like it is always windy here in South Dakota also. I practiced last year for that very reason. 10 to 15 mile an hour winds didn't affect me to much maybe an inch or two. It was hard to tell because I sometimes seem to do that without wind. But in 25 to 30 mile per hour winds I had about 9 to 12 inches of drift at 100 yards. That was with 100 grains and a 295 gr bullet. I decided that was not ethical so i try to wait for a lull or a close shot. I definitely like hunting on windy days because I do about 98% of my hunting as "still hunting". So rain or wind help alot.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 PM

This ballistics program has a wind drift table that you can use. I was amazed at the way these big fat bullets are affected. The wind blows all the time here in Nebraska. I think it blows right through chetmarks yard right down into mine. Couple of days ago I was trying to dial my Triumph in at 150yds. The wind was blowing 15 mph+ and it caused the bullets to drift 6-7". Thats how I figured how fast the wind was blowing.
Zen

http://www.sav10ml.com/pages/load_data/traj_basic_dat.html