Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 is bore butter necessary? >

is bore butter necessary?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

is bore butter necessary?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is bore butter necessary?

Itcan beused asa breech plug grease,to helpsoften powder residue, as a lubricant on externalmoving parts and as a protectant on surfaces that are exposed to powder fouling during shooting.
It also helps to dissolve & removeanyresidual traces of powder fouling leftin the boreand rifling grooves after cleaning. Swabit in, wait awhile andswab it out, then inspect the clean patch to seeif any black powdertracesare present that were lifted out.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Other then the occassional conical and patch lube, I have very little use for the stuff. I actually make my own lube and like it better. Although I do like the smell of bore butter wintergreen..
Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I actually make my own lube and like it better. Although I do like the smell of bore butter wintergreen..
Me too. You can go to a shop that has candymakingsupplies and find tiny little bottles of flavoring agents and make your home made lube smell any way you want. Check out the variety.

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx Yes, they have wintergreen too.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Bore Butter is not made for inlines, don't use it in them...Regular gun oil is what is best for an inline...

Bore Butter was developed for side hammer guns, they marketed it as a product that would "season" the bore and
give you many shots between cleaning...Most of us didn't buy it...We realized that while you can season a cast iron
fry pan, gun barrelsare made of steel...
TC would disagree. Each of my Triumphs came with a DVD that STRONGLY recommends the use of bore butter. I believe these DVD's were produced prior to the introduction of the Triumph seriessinceit is never specifically mentioned in the DVD although the Omega appears to be the main"star" of the video.

They (TC) do mention it is neededproper"seasoning" of the barrel too (for the Omega series).

Now, I'm no expert, but would think TC would know what they were talking about. Of course they do make the bore butter so I'm certain it's in their best interest to make sure we all buy it and use it often.

I'm on the fence on this one. Could someone explain in more detail about "seasoning" of a barrel and how bore butter can help or hurt with it ???
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started shooting these things back in the 70s...I never heard of bore seasoning until T/C started making Bore Butter...

I used to shoot competition, one of the best shooters and builders actually used axle grease as a patch lube...Like Cay, I make
my own so I can make it thick as I like it...

I had a buddy that used the stuff a few years ago, his gun quitgrouping so he bought it to me to fix...I called Knight and they said
don't use it...So T/C say Yes, Knight says No...Kinda like the debate last night, hard to tell who is right...Anyway, I used JB paste on
the barrel, got it back nice and smooth and the gun started grouping again...

As I said, inlines, leave it alone, use oil...Side hammers, there are better home made lubes out there...As far as using to store your guns,
either side hammer or inline....I use a good gun oil...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I don't like brown barrels. I had one barrel with surface rust after storing with bore butter I quit using it years ago.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two inlines and the only thing that touches the inside ofmy barrel after cleaning is Rem Oil with teflon.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigmossy
I'm on the fence on this one. Could someone explain in more detail about "seasoning" of a barrel and how bore butter can help or hurt with it ???
There's really not any benefit or need to season modern steel with Bore Butter. That's a notionlinked toold wroughtiron barrels.
I've heardoffolks treating their bore with synthetic motor oil toofor better accuracyand they claim thatitabsorbs into the pores of the steel and lasts for a number of shotsmuch like a Slick 50 enginetreatment. Hmmmm.....
But TC actuallyrecommends againstusing Bore Butter when shootingsabots. When asked, they've clearlysaidthat a cleanbore shoots sabotsthe best, yetsome folks use it anyway.
Since the boreneeds to be thoroughly cleaned after shooting there's no seasoning effect tobegainedby using it.
I think that it'ssimply a handy BP patchlube withmultiple uses, but oflimited benefit.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

TC recommends EVERYTHING they sell.

I've got a couple of tubes of the stuff around. Can't remember the last time I actually used any, probably used some to quickly lube a conical to use as a bore slug.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hate this discussion, because I do not think there is a right answer.... It is another one of the crusadesthat the infamous RW started because somebody suggested something...

I have used bore butter since I began shooting ML's at first I was using it as suggested on the tube , then folowing the advice of other users changed my approach on how I used the stuff. Then over the last 6 or 7 years completely changed that approach and adopted my own method. In the last couple of years I have even give up on BB and do not useit any longer since TC introduced the new T17 patch with Natural Lube 1000.

I long ago figured out that BB or for that matter T17 did not season a barrel as the thought is intended - your barrel is not a cast iron skillet. I do believe it alleviates fouling in fact I am positive of it. I use it in my trap guns and especially the chokes. Some of you that shoot shotguns a lot pull your uncleaned choke - put a little BB on you little finger or use a T17 patch and run it gently into and around in the the choke... course your finger will turn black as it leaches plastic and powder residue out of the choke.

Another belief I have, and I have absolutely no way to prove it... I do not get the T7 "crud ring" in any of the ML's that I shoot - I believe that BB and T17 are a factor in reducing that fouling also. As an example last week shooting PRB's in Colfax I switched from my normal load of GOEX to T7... - the old timers had convinced me that I needed to use GOEX so I would not have to patch the barrelafter each shotas i normally do whenusing T7. Well, in Colfax while shooting T7 - i did notswab after each shoot and things went great.

So, for just me, BB and T17 work great and I will continue touse it in the manner that I do - applying it in in a very hot barrel... allow some cooling then dry patching the bulk back out... At this point I should also say that I do not believe that either of these products will protect the metal from rust. The last step in my process is the application of a healthy coat of Slip 2000 a synthetic bore oil, then dry patch the majority of that back out of the barrel unless the gun is going to be stored for a long duration.

Just, again, my 2 cents...

Oh! the question is BB necessary - NO!

Quick Reply: is bore butter necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.