Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anybody try these? >

Anybody try these?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody try these?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Anybody try these?

Always looking at new products, haven't seen pricing on these. You don't need sabots and the underside looks strange as though it promotes an air pocket when it sits on the powder?

http://www.hornady.com/media/2008catalog/Page_0043.pdf
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anybody try these?

Some people have been shooting them.. on one forum a person shot an elk with them and it did a great job. I have personally never shot them and refuse to pay what they are asking for them.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 PM
FG

Loaded way to hard for me to use them. Accuracy im my omega was also poor with them. Still fun to just try new things.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

had great groups at 50yrds, fell all apart at 100yrds
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
mountaineer magic

I tried them in my Triumph and had great results as far as accuracy. Haven't tried them for hunting. I had 2-3" groups all the way out to 150 yards with only 100 grains 777. They loaded easy after the initial engraving which was actually easier than any of the conicals I shoot. I just don't really like a bullet of that weight. It only comes in 350 gr. I prefer either a 250 or a 300 as far as modern bullets for my inlines. I use heavy conicals only in my traditional guns. They seemed Ok though.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Full bore bullets (conicals) were big in our sport back in the 80s...They still work, but if a man wants a bullet that will penetrate a deer from stem to stern, it would be hard to beat the 250-300gr Barnes MZ...They would shoot flatter than either a PB or that new Hornady...

I still believe if your shots are within 125 yards or so one of the 250-300 gr hollow point bullets inside a sabot will do just fine...Once you want to streach it out further, one of the 250gr pointed bullets will fly flatter...

Funny thing is...I haven't used my inline for the past 2 seasons...Petty easy for me to select bullets for my .54 flinter...
Old 10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Funny thing is...I haven't used my inline for the past 2 seasons...Petty easy for me to select bullets for my .54 flinter...
Yeah! The choice between round balls and square balls is a no-brainer.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

you ever see those trick cue-balls?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

Always looking at new products, haven't seen pricing on these. You don't need sabots and the underside looks strange as though it promotes an air pocket when it sits on the powder?

http://www.hornady.com/media/2008catalog/Page_0043.pdf
Yes, we have seen them. The FPB=Flextip Projectile Blackpowder. That are $17 for 15 at Gander MT, again about $1.00 each, Walmart has them also. The underside expands to grab the rifleing, similar to the Powerbelt skirt, except this is made of copper or copper alloy. They look like an excellent MLer bullet, should be great for Colorado and other no sabot states. Should be good also for flintlocks with real BP.
Chap
Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

Loaded way to hard for me to use them. Accuracy im my omega was also poor with them. Still fun to just try new things.
Hey Fronteer Gander, what happened to your Fronteer Gander account? Where ya been? PB forum too much for ya? Chap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.