Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Yet Another Newbie Question >

Yet Another Newbie Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Yet Another Newbie Question

Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Yet Another Newbie Question

I've narrowed down my picks for a first muzzleloader. I will either be purchasing a CVA Wolf in .50 cal or a CVA Kodiak in .45 cal. I live in SE Georgia and will be hunting mainly whitetail and wild hog. I'm looking for three main things in order of importance:
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
1. Good knockdown for ethical kill and minimum tracking
2. Good accuracy out to 150 - 200 yards
3. Bearable recoil to aviod flinching - I used to shoot a Savage .270 (130 gr) with a recoil pad and it was a joy to shoot. I want something comparable.

[/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]
Which gun would be the the best fit and why? Thank you for the insight. I'm extremely excited about getting into muzzleloading.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Yet Another Newbie Question

1. Good knockdown for ethical kill and minimum tracking When you're talking deer and hogs, both calibers are going to be able to harvest them when you use the right bullet/powder combination. Also shot placement will be critical for putting the animal down right now. For long distance, excellent expansion, and knock down.. I'd be looking at Barnes, Nosler, Speer, Parker, and Shockwaves. With the right powder charge it should plant them or at least leave you a good blood trail.

2. Good accuracy out to 150 - 200 yards Because of the distance your expecting, I would have to move to the Kodiak as I feel it is just a little better quality then the Wolf.

3. Bearable recoil to aviod flinching - I used to shoot a Savage .270 (130 gr) with a recoil pad and it was a joy to shoot. I want something comparable. You are going to get recoil, but with a heavier rifle and smaller caliber it should decrease the recoil you will feel. Still a lot of the recoil will depend on the amount of powder used in direct relationship to the weight of the projectile. Here you would be perhaps better off with a .45 caliber.

So of the two you mentioned, I would look at the Kodiak...

Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go with a .50 caliber for sure. Many, many more options with bullets & sabots. You can get a .45 for your second one (and a .54 ball shooter for your third ).
Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: 5pointCal

I've narrowed down my picks for a first muzzleloader. I will either be purchasing a CVA Wolf in .50 cal or a CVA Kodiak in .45 cal. I live in SE Georgia and will be hunting mainly whitetail and wild hog. I'm looking for three main things in order of importance:
[blockquote]If you are set on one of those two and you want to shoot 200 yards I would pick the Kodiak in a 45. I have the Kodiak pro in a 45 cal. It will do what you want. I have my doubts about the wolf at that range. Just my opinion as some Wolf owners would probably take exception to my statement.
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
1. Good knockdown for ethical kill and minimum tracking
2. Good accuracy out to 150 - 200 yards
3. Bearable recoil to aviod flinching - I used to shoot a Savage .270 (130 gr) with a recoil pad and it was a joy to shoot. I want something comparable.

[/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]
Which gun would be the the best fit and why? Thank you for the insight. I'm extremely excited about getting into muzzleloading.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Well I can get the .45 Kodiak (no scope or accessories) from Sportsmans Guide for around $127 shipping and everything.

Is this a good deal for this gun?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like a good deal, but I have not really did price checking on that model of rifle to say there is not a better deal out there.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 AM

Okay, done deal. I just ordered the .45 Kodiak. I can't wait for it to arrive. When it does, I will definately need some advice on loads. I'll send pics when it comes. AWESOME!!

It's great to have an outlet like this to get "insider" info onthe sport. A lot a places look down on beginners and seem to forget they were beginners once too.

Thanks for all your help, guys.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Another question...how doesa .45 cal muzzleloader (100 gr. 777) compare to a .270, .30-06, and 12 ga with 3.5 inch 00 buck? Those are the guns I'm most familiar with. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not even close to a .270 or .30-06. Far superior to 00 buck.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM

I'm sorry. I meant how do they compare in terms of recoil. I failed to mention that slight detail.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Newbie Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.