Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flitz

Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flitz

Just wondering, I know that Flitz is great for stainless steel, but before I use it, does it actually polish the barrel to a shine, or does it just provitde some sort of coating to help with future cleaning? I read somewhere that it works well to polish brass to a high shine, but I didn't know if it works the same with stainless.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Flitz

SK, there is more than one kind of Flitz, one is a wax plus light polishing compound while another is just a wax. I think the one that is simply a wax would be best for general use.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=GUN%20CARE%20%26%20ACC.&de pt2=CLEANING%20SUPPLIES&dept3=CHEMICALS&de pt4=FLITZ
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was not aware of that. Would the wax leave a gummy type of build up or not too bad?I just noticed some "staining" of some sort on my barrel, and while I was able to get it off so far, I would hate to end up with something permanent later on.

Vince
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use FLITZ to polish metal
My wife bought me a Winchester bowie knife and it had a BIG winchester logo on it that I didn't like so I used the flitz and a dremmel too and off it came but it polished the whole blade.

For protection I useRenaissance Wax

http://www.booksmartstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78_677&OVR AW=renaissance%20wax&OVKEY=renaissance%20wax&a mp;OVMTC=standard&OVADID=12188278522&OVKWI D=90011560022

This stuff is GREAT
It also prevents fingerprinting on your weapon or knife or whatever.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once read a post on this forum that someone used Flitz on their SS barrel and to their dismay it changed the matte finish to a shiny finish. It is a mild abrasive and I could see it doing that. I bought a used black diamond with a blued barrel once and you could see just the very beginning of pitting on the outside of the barrel. I used Flitz on it and it made it look almost new. I have also used it to lightly lap the inside of my barrels much in the same way people do with JB bore paste.
Art
Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: flounder33

I once read a post on this forum that someone used Flitz on their SS barrel and to their dismay it changed the matte finish to a shiny finish. It is a mild abrasive and I could see it doing that. I bought a used black diamond with a blued barrel once and you could see just the very beginning of pitting on the outside of the barrel. I used Flitz on it and it made it look almost new. I have also used it to lightly lap the inside of my barrels much in the same way people do with JB bore paste.
Art
Flitz polishing compound is NON abrasive. With stainless steel and using a soft cloth, it takes away the bright shiney color and puts it back to its natural gray color. If you use steelwool like they say for removing rust,corrosion, yes its abrasive obviously. Using a soft clean cloth to rub it on and then buff out (Dont let it dry) it does a great job of keeping metal surfaces clean and stain free. Did my entire omega inside and out with it before i sold it. Optima, cva mountain rifle, traditions kentucky also got it.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frontier Gander, oh I mean COPBHUNTER (COlorado PowerBelt Hunter), you do like do argue fine points don't you. I stick with saying that Flitz is a mild abrasive, even dishwashing soap is a mild abrasive, I wasn't trying to say it had sandpaper in it for gosh sakes.
Art
Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Whos arguing? Just stating my Flitz experience with a Stainless steel barrel.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know there are two kinds if Flitz in different color tubes. The one I had (blue tube I think)took the blueing off of a gun I used it on.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the kind I have used. It didn't take the bluing off the black diamond but I used it gently and sparingly. The tube is blue and grey I think. Overall I thought it was good stuff but like anything use it in an area that doesn't show first.
Art