Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Grouping Question

Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Grouping Question

Shot my Knight disc rifle today for the first time since replacing the scope last year. I roughly sighted it in last fall and had not shot it since.
These six shots todaywere from a solid bench rest at 56 yds. Using Knight's 240 gr HP and100 gr Pyrodex pellets.
The bullseye is3.25" dia. and the outer ring is 7" dia.
I am happy withshots4, 5 & 6 butreally wonder about the spacing onshots1, 2 & 3. In a real world hunting situation onlythe first shot counts andI was not terribly happy with the spread between the firstthree shots. Each shot felt the same as I touched them off.
I swabbed with solvent and dry patches between shots.
Shots #1 & #3 were highjust off the paper. Windage was very good on all six shots.
Anyone have suggestions as to why the first three shots would have spread as they did?
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Grouping Question

Sometimes it is hard to figure out why these things do what they do. All I would suggest is try a different bullet and see if it does the same thing. I would suggest some 250 grain Shockwaves. My Knights shoot them very well.

If it does the same with a different bullet, or you try the same ones again with the same results, check the scope, the mounts, and if you have sights on it, then try the rifle with open sights. Also if you have a different scope, you might want to throw that on and see if the scope was to fault.

Also on your rest, were you resting on the barrel or the stock? I never rest a rifle on the barrel. I have found this to effect the accuracy as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Will the guns shoot different when the Barrel gets hot.
First the the BBL was not as hot as the others?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the suggestions. While I don't really want to remove my scope, I will look into the Shockwaves. I had the forepiece of the rifle resting on a folded towel and was careful not to rest on the barrel itself.
I have had the disc rifle for a long time and up to last year I shot a 300 grain Barnes bullet which shot very well but I thought if I went to a lighter bullet it might give me a little more range with less drop. I surely won't sacrifice accuracy fora little longer range however.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree that the barrel heating up would have an effect but questioned why shots 1 & 3 grouped together but not shot #2.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not be so quick to think the 240HP is going to shoot flatter than the 300 Barnes. Unless you are pushing it significantly faster there will be little difference in the trajectories. The 300gr pushed at around 1750 sighted in dead on at 100 yards will drop about 13 to 14 inches at 200 yards. The 240gr with its lower BC pushed at around 1900 with the same sight in will drop about 13 inches at 200 yards. The 300 is going to have much more energy at 200 so it would be my choice between the two bullets. Unless you are shooting much higher velocities and over 200 yards it is not gaining you anything except maybe recoil reduction. Stick with what shoots the most accurate and you will be fine.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a chance the pellets could have picked up some moisture?
Art
Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have had this box of pellets for about two years so there could be a moisture issue but didn't think that would have caused these type problems.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here are the things I check when I find my shots stringing vertically, but good horizontal grouping.

1. Am I placing the same spot of the foreend on the rest each time, andholding it with the same tension (or not holding it at all - which is what I do)?
2. Am I pulling the butt stock back into my shoulder with the same degree of tension each time?
3. Am I resting my cheek on the stock in the same place and with the same degree of contact each time (just a light kiss - not too hard)?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've also got a Disc, had it since ???96...It's the 22 inch barrel model...

Anyway...Mine is a little picky (actually I am)...I not only clean with 3 patches dampend with alcohol and then dry but I also lube with oil and then dry...I found if I didn't lube and dry my groups opened up...Now, I'm a picky sob when it comes to groups, more than a inch and a half at a 100 to me has to be corrected...

Now...You will not find a bullet that will out group that Barnes 300gr MZ...Trust me, I tried...

I have also got a load that works with the 250 SST...That's the bullet to try if you want a flatter shooting bullet...In my Knight, the pet load was 100grs Pyrodex and a 300 gr Barnes...With the SST it is a 250 SST and 90grs Pyrodex...With both of these loads sighted in 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards the Barnes hits 6-8 inches low at 150 and the SST hits 2 1/2 - 3 inches low at 150...It seems wierd, less powder, flatter shooting...It's in the design of the bullet...

As stated, a 240 hollow point pistol bullet will not shoot much flatter than the 300gr Barnes...If you want flatter shooting, look at the SSTs or the Dead Centers...(My Knight didn't like the 220s)...

Have fun...

Quick Reply: Grouping Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.