HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   what are the hottest new bullet/sabots on the market? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/264293-what-hottest-new-bullet-sabots-market.html)

corey012778 09-23-2008 10:36 AM

RE: what are the hottest new bullet/sabots on the market?

they call it an skirt. it made out of Polymer as well.

cayugad 09-23-2008 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: 5pointCal

Sorry for my ingnorance, but what exactly is the difference between a bullet and sabot? I'm looking to get a muzzleloader, but I'm confused as to the difference. I watched the videos on CVA's website last night, but didn't get a clear answer.

Thank you.
Never consider a question unimportant if you do not know the answer. Good that you at least have the common sense to ask.

Have you ever seen a shotgun shell taken apart? You have powder, then a plastic hull and in that plastic hull or wad is where the bird shot sits. When you shoot the hull and shot moves up the barrel and the shot separates from the hull. Well a sabot is basically the same thing.

The sabot is a plastic hull or wad. In that hull or sabot that rests on top of the powder a bullet is placed in it. You load the powder first. Then you place the matching bullet into that sabots and that as a unit is then forced into the barrel and pushed down on the powder charge. When you shoot the sabot and bullet move up the barrel. Once outside, about 15 yards normally, the sabot disconnects from the bullet and falls to the ground. The bullet then continues downrange to the target.

5pointCal 09-23-2008 11:08 AM

It seems that the plastic from the sabot would fill the rifling in the barrell, therefore making them less effective on the bullet. And then wouldn't that make the barrell harder to clean?

COPBHUNTER 09-23-2008 11:37 AM

powerbelt uses a gas seal. Its a full size bore bullet. A sabot is an under sized bullet anywhere from .45cal to 40cal and the sabot takes up the extra space in a .50cal.

The gas seal on a powerbelt is mainly there to allow for easy loading and just as the name states, seal off has from coming around the bullet.

The bullet itself also expands in the bore and engraves the rifling.

As for sabots/plastic fouling up the bore, i never had any problems at all.

5pointCal 09-23-2008 11:55 AM

Okay, its making better sense to me now. Thank you!

Semisane 09-23-2008 11:56 AM

As for sabots/plastic fouling up the bore, i never had any problems at all.
Same here. Not a problem.

sabotloader 09-23-2008 12:26 PM

5pointCal

It seems that the plastic from the sabot would fill the rifling in the barrell, therefore making them less effective on the bullet. And then wouldn't that make the barrell harder to clean?
I guess the first thing I would suggest to you is that the sabots is not made of just plastic.. It is an advanced polymer formulation, that is also providesself lubrication as it travels up the barrel. How tightthe sabot/bullet combination is in the barrel has a lot to do with velocity and accuracy of the projectile. Also the the sabot and projectile (except maybe for a all copper Barnes will obturate to the diameter of the barrel is the gas seal remains tight. Manufacturers of the sabots will tell you oil in the barrel is not necessary (and it isn't)- because the last thing they want is the sabot slipping up the barrel and not engaging the lands... I have tried testing both this thought and my belief because I do have a very light coat of bore protection in the bore while I am hunting. In the weather I hunt in damp, rainy, snowy - I just feel better if the bore is protected from moisture - anyway I get no change in accuracy from a stripped clean metal bore and a very ligthly protected bore.

Just another thought from the peanut gallery....

lemoyne 09-23-2008 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

5pointCal

I guess the first thing I would suggest to you is that the sabots is not made of just plastic.. It is an advanced polymer formulation, that is also providesself lubrication as it travels up the barrel. How tightthe sabot/bullet combination is in the barrel has a lot to do with velocity and accuracy of the projectile. Also the the sabot and projectile (except maybe for a all copper Barnes will obturate to the diameter of the barrel is the gas seal remains tight. Manufacturers of the sabots will tell you oil in the barrel is not necessary (and it isn't)- because the last thing they want is the sabot slipping up the barrel and not engaging the lands... I have tried testing both this thought and my belief because I do have a very light coat of bore protection in the bore while I am hunting. In the weather I hunt in damp, rainy, snowy - I just feel better if the bore is protected from moisture - anyway I get no change in accuracy from a stripped clean metal bore and a very ligthly protected bore.

Just another thought from the peanut gallery....

+!, I have also found that I can use synthic oil with BH209 and by wipeing it well before loading put that first load in the group. Lee

sabotloader 09-23-2008 03:11 PM

Lee

Agree with the synthetic oil... I picked up some Slip 2000 synthetic it is really a good product. What are you using?