HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   what are the hottest new bullet/sabots on the market? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/264293-what-hottest-new-bullet-sabots-market.html)

dbblung 09-21-2008 08:44 PM

what are the hottest new bullet/sabots on the market?

I finally drew a muzzleloader deer tag for the 08 season, I have been out of the loop since 2002(last time I drew a tag). I was using 245 gr Powerbelts with 2- 777 pellets, and I was not impressed with the accuracy in my Winchester Apex 209 rifle. I have been doing some research and am thinking about trying the new Hornady sabotless conicals or might try the ez load type. Anybody have anything they would recommend? I am restricted to a 1X scope so my shot distance is more limited than some states, but would like something accurate to 100-125 yards. Any recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated!

COPBHUNTER 09-21-2008 10:06 PM

RE: what are the hottest new bullet/sabots on the market?

With my Winchesters i always had my best luck with the heavier 295gr + Powerbelt.

The 300gr Platinum would be a bullet to try out.

dbblung 09-22-2008 05:38 PM

What about the Harvester crush rib sabots or scorpion or sabertooth, anyone have any experience with these(accuracy, ease of loading, performance on deer sized game?). I see Swift makes a muzzleloading saboted bullet anyone tried them? Come on guys I need more info!!

Indiana SmokePole 09-23-2008 05:29 AM

dbblung

There has been some good reports on the New Hornady conical . But I still think the BullShops are the best !
www.bullshop.gunloads.com

sabotloader 09-23-2008 08:55 AM

dbblung

Sometimes the newest badest fastest is not the bestest thing out there... but then again most would say that I oldest unprogressive shooter out there, still living the 50's or 60's....

If you got the money to spend on them and at the range you are talking about really do not think you can beat a Nosler Partition or even some variety of Barnes. And if you have not got the money for those bullets - then a "poorman's" Nosler might be a Speer Gold Dot, since they are a bonded bullet they really hold together.

None of these are the pointy type high BC that seem to be popular these days, they are just "blue" collar working bullets.

If you are required to shoot conicals, Power Belts would be way down my list of viable projectiles. I would highly suggest one of Dan's Bull Shop lead conicals and we are certainly hearing a lot about the new Hornady FPB, unfortunately here in Idaho I could not use it during ML season because it has to be all lead.

In the beginning if you were using PB's because they were easy to load, well in today's world there are so many different sized 50 cal sabots out there you pretty much can find the one that fits your barrel, and loading can be a breeze also...

Powder! again I am still stuck in an rut - only because of price - but if you got it spend it - the new Blackhorn 209 powder is certainly an advancement and an option you can use in your Apex.

Have fun and good hunting...

cayugad 09-23-2008 09:51 AM

dbblung I wish I could tell you the answer to the magic bullet theory but there is none. A lot of it will depend on what your rifle likes. You've already learned that Powerbelts in 245 grains did not please you. Perhaps had you lowered the powder charge down to 80 grains of loose Pyrodex RS it might have made a world of difference. But it appears you're a pellet shooter so lets address this question from that standpoint for now.

100 grains of pellets and the right projectile will take most any game in North America. Many of the professional muzzle loading rifle writers like Jim Shockley and others have proved that. The trick is the right bullet and the right shot placement. Now Shockley used to use a Nosler Partition and he had excellent results with them from deer to the great bear and moose.

Personally out of your rifle and with 100 grains I would TRY some..

Nosler Partition, Barnes Expanders, Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot, Parker Extreme Ballistic, if you want conicals, Sabertooth conicals, Bullshop Conicals, just to name a few. Get a few of them. Try them with 100 grains of pellets or move to loose powder. See which one of them gives you the kind of accuracy you demand. Then place them in the right spot and let the bullet do the rest.

There are a lot of bullets out there, I have only touched on a few. I mean no disrespect to those I did not mention. I am only saying the ones I shoot and have had good luck with. For instance in my CVA Staghorn Magnum I shoot a 300 grain .430 dia XTP with amazing accuracy. I shoot 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. But thenthat rifle is deadly with a 245 grain Powerbelt as well..

So all you can do it try some of the bullets mentioned. See which ones shoot best for you. Then place that shot. Good luck and happy hunting.

5pointCal 09-23-2008 10:07 AM

Sorry for my ingnorance, but what exactly is the difference between a bullet and sabot? I'm looking to get a muzzleloader, but I'm confused as to the difference. I watched the videos on CVA's website last night, but didn't get a clear answer.

Thank you.

sabotloader 09-23-2008 10:18 AM

5pointCal

but what exactly is the difference between a bullet and sabot?
Here is a picture of bullets installed in a Polymer sabot - this combination is then pushed down the barrel on top of the powder charge....

corey012778 09-23-2008 10:22 AM

5point,

cva most likely where showing powerbelts. they are both owned by bpi.

nothing wrong with powerbelts if used right. 85grs or less of loose powder.

dbblung
I have an 45cal apex. I have thought about bh209. then I thought about the breech plug and not sure if it will work with the design.

5pointCal 09-23-2008 10:27 AM

thank you guys for the replies. So do you have to use sabots with the bullets? I noticed that the powerbelts are kind of a bullet with the sabot built in. is that right?