Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega/FPB/BH 209 takes down an elk >

Omega/FPB/BH 209 takes down an elk

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega/FPB/BH 209 takes down an elk

Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega/FPB/BH 209 takes down an elk

Just got back from my Colorado hunting trip. Got a big cow elk with my set up (the lead cow in the group). 80 yards, 350 grain FPB, 90 grains of BH 209. Steep angle downhill. Went through the top of her left shoulder blade, broke a rib, took out the Aorta (major blood vessel coming out of the heart), went through the right lung, then broke a rib on the opposite side and stopped under the skin on the opposite side. Top 25% of the FPB was mushroomed, slightly sheered off on one side and retained about 85-90% of weight. No major bones encountered, but went through 3 smaller bones. Cow staggered on impact, then again about 50 yards, then went down and slid 150 yards down the hill. Pine tree stopped her. 1 & 1/2 mile pack out in one trip (two backpacks) off a very steep mountain. That was fun! LOL I would have to say the FPB performed well! Anyone else have FPB stories?

The only disappointment is that I MISSED my big buck (27-" ish, 4x4, in velvet, very heavy with tall antlers and deep forks! Shot was straight, but a couple of inches over his back. He was basically a few yards over my max distance of 150 yards and I ended up overcompensating and held too high. I think I may have pulled it up slightly, but I think the steep angle may have made it hit high too. I had climbed for 1 and 1/2 hours to get into position. He was sleeping at first, then wouldn't get up even after he woke up. After 20 minutes, he still had not stood up (he was facing straight away, and so I threw a rock downhill and got him to stand. Had lots of time to get set up and some shooting sticks, so I decided to take the shot. Boy, what I wouldn't give for a "do over" !!! I saw 4 more shooter bucks, but that is the only one I put a successful sneak on. He was bedded on an open slope above timberline at aprox. 12,000 ft, which is why I couldn't get any closer.

Anyway, had a great trip. Now back to work, ugh!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Omega/FPB/BH 209 takes down an elk

txhunter58

Dang it all to heck!!!

I can not hunt elk until late Novemeber - this really makes me itch... but I guess I can go out and tease them with an elk bugle...

CONGRATS!

Come on November - get here...
Old 09-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Excellent Hunt!!!

I just know you got some pics...so get them posted---Sweet
Old 09-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report TX. I believe you're the first with a FPB report. PICTURES! PICTURES!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent story and report... and it is nice to know the FPB worked so well. Yes, congratulations and pictures would be great... Way to go...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Got to see pics man!!

How was the blood trail?

Any pics of the bullet? I'd like to compare it to my sand tested FPB's.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!Great hunt. My elk hunt wasn't very successful but was a lot of fun.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congradulations!
Nice to read about some hunts now,The testing is great but the meat is much sweeter
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job and thanks for the report. I'm going to be using the FPB on my elk hunt in about 4 weeks so it's good to hear a positive report. I hope I have one in a few weeks myself.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats! I may have to try some of those this season.

Quick Reply: Omega/FPB/BH 209 takes down an elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.