Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blowback question

Old 09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default blowback question

I posted earlier about using blackhorn 209 and experinced some serious blowback from my mk85. I know that gun does not have the correct breech plug but where exactly is the blowback occuring? I was using blackhorn and had just converted my gun to 209 primers. The week before I was using my normal musket cap,100 gr of triple 7 and a 270 gr powerbelt without any blowback at all. My brother talked me into using a pack of precision elite hp 300gr bullets which seat much tighter then the powerbelts. I was feeling a fair amount of blowback using this bullet with 100gr of triple 7. Isa certain amount of blowback normal? I have shot this gun for years mainly using 45 cal speer hollowpoints with knight sabots using pyrodex and then switching to powerbelts about 3 year ago and never remember blowback issues at all.Thanks for any input.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: blowback question

Different powders react differently. Are you noticing a lot of carbon in the open breech, or if you shoot a scope, under the scope? I just decided that for my open breech rifles like my Wolverine, Staghorn, Whites, and Black Diamond rifles, I would just stick to the powders that were working. Although in my Knight Disc (closed breech) I did have excellent luck with the 209 powder and would shoot that again.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

deer655

Please.....Do not continue using BH209 in that gun. BH when ignited, produces MORE(greater Volume) of actual GAS, than any other black powder sub on the market. And that's because it's acts very much like smokeless powder.

These hot gases must go somewhere, so most of it goes out the barrel pushing the bullet. HOWEVER, this will increase the blowback gas pressure going back towards the breech plug, and shoot out rearward, thru the flame channel toward the spent primer. It can/will blow past the primer and hit your face/lower mouth-chin area. This increased blowback can blow your old primer into peices. These peices can become projectiles and have the ability to cause some serious wounds.[:-][:'(][]

Please heed cayugad's advice, and just stick to the regular powders and subs. They are more like burning expanding solids, and will have a greatly reduced blowback effects
Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 AM

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

deer655

Please.....Do not continue using BH209 in that gun. BH when ignited, produces MORE(greater Volume) of actual GAS, than any other black powder sub on the market. And that's because it's acts very much like smokeless powder.

These hot gases must go somewhere, so most of it goes out the barrel pushing the bullet. HOWEVER, this will increase the blowback gas pressure going back towards the breech plug, and shoot out rearward, thru the flame channel toward the spent primer. It can/will blow past the primer and hit your face/lower mouth-chin area. This increased blowback can blow your old primer into peices. These peices can become projectiles and have the ability to cause some serious wounds.[:-][:'(][]

Please heed cayugad's advice, and just stick to the regular powders and subs. They are more like burning expanding solids, and will have a greatly reduced blowback effects
X3
Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have already switched back to my musket caps and triple 7.I only took 4 shots with blackhorn, sad thing is it was was of my best groups ever.Thanks for the help and concern.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

because it's acts very much like smokeless powder.

A related question for those who shoot BH209; Do you notice a sharper recoil when using it than with T7?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

In my knight mk85 the difference between 100gr t7 and 100gr bh was pretty drastic. I told my hunting budding that after i shot the 4 shots of blackhorn that my shoulder hurt worse then then after a whole day of dove hunting with my old pump with heavy loads. My gun sounded like a rifle going off instead of a bp gun.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigmossy

I do not, because it is a smokeless progressive buring powder it burns slower... to me the recoil is spread over a longer period of time.

The sound certainly is different...