Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .44 cal navy pistol >

.44 cal navy pistol

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.44 cal navy pistol

Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Default .44 cal navy pistol

Looking to purchase a lightly used cabelas .44 cal1851 confederate navy pistol, just looking for feedback good or bad, I think I can get it for $100 with flask, measure, balls, ready to shoot. What do ya think? Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: .44 cal navy pistol

If the revolver is not rusted or stretched that's not a bad deal. Be sure to inspect the revolver.

Cock the hammer and look down in there where the hammer strikes the face of the frame. They like to rust in there.

Next put the hammer on half cock and spin the cylinder and feel for ruff spots. Also while you have it on half cock, see if you can move the cylinder forwards and backwards on the cylinder pin. How far is the head of the cylinder from the barrel? If that revolver has been over charged and stretched, you will notice a large gap. Leave that thing alone.

Now cock the revolver and go through the whole cylinder to see how well the cylinders line up. Sometimes if the revovler was abused, they will be off center. The first time you fire that and get lead spray, you will know it was a little off center.

Pull the cylinder from the frame and inspect the frame real close for stress cracks, or rust. Many times the Navy model revolver get abused unintentionally, because they are charged too much. Without that top strap like the 1858 New Army model, too much powder is bad for the revolver. I only used to shoot 15 grains of 3f powder out of mine. It was for fun and plinking so it did not matter. I think the max in them are 25 grains.

With the cylinder out of the frame, put a white piece of cloth in the cylinder area of the frame, hold the revolver canted to the light and look down the barrel. Inspect it for pitting, and rust.

New that revolver is around $149.00 for the low end models, and as high as $300.00 for the better Colt and Uberte models...