Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC penn hunter flinter powder >

TC penn hunter flinter powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC penn hunter flinter powder

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default TC penn hunter flinter powder

time to buy some rifle reloading powder so im gonna get some black powder too. goex or swiss? can i get away with 3f for both barrel and pan in the 50. cal. tc penn hunter?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC penn hunter flinter powder

If you don't shoot much, Swiss is a great powder. Or if you don't mind paying the price. Swiss is several dollars more then Goex. Goex is a good powder and will do all you ask. The difference, besides price, Swiss burns cleaner and hotter. So you do not need as much Swiss as you would Goex for the same results. Cut your charges 15% for starters.

If you want to shoot 3f, it will work well in the charge and the pan. Although I have a few rifles in which I do get better accuracy shooting the 2f powder.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

goex 3F will work A O.K. even with pan charging 2 grains max remember tap away from the touch hole liner for faster ignition
T/c also the improve vent loners compared to the old screw driver slotted one.The new vent liner are installed with a allen key and they are .070
I had a t/c pen hunter with the RB barrel twist seem to favor .495 balls compared to .490 is what I use now.Mt converted hawkens into a PA hunter stock loves 95 grains of 3F wad under the patched rb.
I use 54 cal. wads in a 50 cal. barrel
patch material pillow .018 out of walmart and my own lube 60/40 beeswax and lard ( no salt) and a table spoon of olive oil.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

After my range session on Friday, I discovered that my flintlock renegade prefers FFg for the main charge. My normal load of 100 grains FFg pushing a .430, 300 grain xtp prints 1" groups at 50 yards, but with FFFg the groups were like 5-6 inches at 50 yards. I tried 60-70-80 grain charges with the FFFg. Will stick with FFg for the main charge. Just a thought, if you know if likes FFg maybe stick with it. If it aint broke....
Old 09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 3 and 4f in the pan. 4f only because I have a can and got to use it up somehow.
3f works fine so save some money.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

4F last forever my 1lb can must be 8years old and I still have a 1/2 pound left
Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

you don't shoot enough lonewolf.. I bought two pounds of 4f about four years ago and have one pound left, so I am doing pretty good. 4f is nice on the range, but in the woods 3f seems to withstand moisture better.

The trick hunting I found is, change your pan powder often. Like every 30 minutes to an houreven. Or any time you have reason to doubt it.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM

liquidorange,

Traded for a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter a week ago, shot it for the first time yesterday. Used 3f in both the pan & barrel with no ignition issues at all. Used 80 grain load with the priming pan roughly 1/2 full.

Hope you like yours as much as I do mine. Shooting a flinter was a blast (was my first time), and it's the first rifle I've owned that I can honestly call a tackdriver. Couldn't believe my eyes when I checked the target after firing the first three shots... cloverleaf! The gentleman I traded told me it was a shooter, but I didn't expect the first load combo to be that good.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks everyone for the help. im gonna get a can of each and see how it goes. i didnt know much about the swiss powder but i will give it a try.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

you don't shoot enough lonewolf.. I bought two pounds of 4f about four years ago and have one pound left, so I am doing pretty good. 4f is nice on the range, but in the woods 3f seems to withstand moisture better.

The trick hunting I found is, change your pan powder often. Like every 30 minutes to an houreven. Or any time you have reason to doubt it.
Dave
I like your new tag line
Dog's are mans best friend
The way you can tell is to "lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for two hours,open the trunk and see which one is glad to see you"
Works everytime

Quick Reply: TC penn hunter flinter powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.