Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Storing ML after BH209 >

Storing ML after BH209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Storing ML after BH209

Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Storing ML after BH209

I was wondering what i should use on the inside of my barrel between uses if im only gonna shoot BH209. The gun shop that i bought my encore said use bore butter on it, ive since sold the encore and bought a Knight LRH, i figured since you can use hoppes #9 to clean it, maybe i could just use regular gun oil on the inside of the barrel ???

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob
Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Storing ML after BH209

on all my guns, sidelock to semi-auto, I use rem oil or hoppes oil.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM

I use Rem Oil in all of my Knights works Great
Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

After you use solvent likeHoppies or Birchwood CaseyBore Scrubber,to clean the barrel after shooting, protect the rifle and bore with a quality gun oil.

There are still some people out there that believe bore butter is the answer to rifle protection. And I could not agree more with them, as long as it is not my rifle they are protecting with that stuff. I do not use bore butter for other then a conical lube.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have tried quite a number of things, the ones that seem compatable are Break Free and Barricade. The presevervative you keep in your barrel affects that first shot because its in the pores of the metal and you can not get all of it out[I scrub the barrel with achohal to get all I can out before I load it]. At this point I like Break Free best ; the first shot from that one hole group I posted a few days ago was from a Triumph barrel that had been kept oiled with Break Free. Lee
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I use is Rem Oil with teflon in my 2 muzzleloaders.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I use the T17 lubed patches after ive run the pre saturated ones down the barrel. But before I started using that, i just sprayed Hoppes or rem oil on a patch and ran the the barrel. Then dried that and ran some bore butter down. The thing I like about the bore butter is that is makes loading the sabot twice as easy

but its not rocket science, just get it clean and shiny

but T/C makes a whole line of the T17 product made just formuzzleloading. I really like there breech cleaning wash
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Barricade by Birchwood Casey.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

I use Hoppe's Elite gun oil on a couple of patches when I'm through cleaning. I haven'tshot my Omega since last hunting season (unfortunately) but I do check it every once in a while. No signs of any rust. Looks just like it did when I put it away. I'll just run a couple of patches with alchohol on them to remove the oil and then start shooting. Ialso use the Barricade/Sheath on the out side and I really like it to. Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure how it is going to work with BH209 but I use Ballistol as a barrel protectant. It has a couple of features I like, number one being that it is compatable with black powder and all the substitutes in fact some use it for patch lube. Has been around for a very long time and was used initially with the German army when corrosive primers were in use. Smells a little funny but works great.

Quick Reply: Storing ML after BH209

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.