Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What was your longest shot made? >

What was your longest shot made?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What was your longest shot made?

Old 03-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What was your longest shot made?

I like to see what the longest shot hunters made with a black powder rifle, and what load they were using. Also the circumstances are interesting. I shot a nice buck at 82 steps with a .54 caliber T/C Renegade, with open sights, loaded with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a round ball. The deer never moved, dropped in its tracks. I was in a deer stand, had the rifle rested on the platform, and had even used the set trigger, before shooting.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What was your longest shot made?

Doe at 200 yards, referenced to lawn chair that was sitting at the edge of the woods and I knew that distance. White Model 98 .451 using home cast 426 grain conical bullets of bore size, 100 grains volume equivalent of Pyrodex P and a #11 RWS cap. 3x9 Leupold on 9x. Dead calm weather and had watched the doe feed (along with two others) for quite awhile before deciding to take the shot. I belly crawled about 10 yards to get the best position, shooting prone from one hillside to the next.

Deer never knew what hit her.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:57 AM

I' ve got all the fancy gear to reach out and touch em, but the dumb things must think I' m bowhunting. Longest shot was about 45 yards. Oh well, I suppose deer are like cute chicks, gettin close is the fun part!
Maybe switching to late ML season will help...
Old 03-15-2003, 09:04 AM

My longest shot was two years ago on a nice 7pt. buck. He was walking in some tall grass about 75yds. out when I first spotted him coming towards me. I could have shot him several times, but I didn' t want to chance shooting through the tall grass. I was only seeing portions of him at a time, as he was walking. I figured I' d just let him continue walking towards me, since there was an opening coming up. He got as close as 25yds when the wind swirled and the next sound I heard was him bounding over the hill. My heart sank....I knew I had just blown it. This was the last day of our muzzleloader season.
I was kicking myself in the butt for not taking the earlier shot through the grass as I slowly walked up the hill the buck had just gone over. Little did I know my luck was about to change. Just as I was cresting the hill, I spotted him looking back at me. He was quite a ways out there and he looked like he was ready to bust out of there for good. I knew I didn' t have much time as I pulled the T/C Encore up and took in a deep breath and slowly released it as I squeezed the trigger. At the shot I saw him go down through the smoke and he never got back up.
My luck had changed....not only had I just nailed a nice buck, but he dropped only 75yds from my truck. I didn' t have to drag him a foot. I just pulled the truck up after I field dressed him. It doesn' t get any easier than that!
At the time of the shot I didn' t have time to range him. I did this after I re-loaded and it was a good honest 150yd. off hand shot. The load I was using was 150grs Pyrodex Pellets and a 289 gr. Remington Copper Solid.
I had another long range shot using the same gun and load this year. It was 135yds. on a big doe. I took her through the heart and she ran about 75yds before she went down.
I always hope for closer shots when hunting during the muzzleloader season, but the deer are on high alert and have been educated by the time muzzleloader season arrives here in Illinois.
It sure pays off big time to spend a lot of time out at the gun range!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Years ago i got drawed to hunt on a black powder hunt,shot a 11-point buck that was so far away I held a foot over his back,pulled the triger and he dropped,It was witha T/C 45 cal Sennca and 70 grs of black powder and a T/c conical bullet.
Year before I shot one with a Knight disc,110 grs of pyrodex select,and 225 gr power belt at 155 yds on a power line.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:28 PM

Ive shot some at right around 100 yds. I seldom hunt with anything but flintlocks and roundballs. I shot a doe this past year at slightly over 100 yds with a hollow base bullet just to try it out. Here in Ga. scopes arent allowed in muzzleloader season so a long shot isnt something I would try to set up for.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Typical Buck

A few years back I was after a pronghorn doe with my musket. My daughter and I got spotted and I figured it was still too far for a good shot so I got Darcy to wave my jacket while I crawled directly at the antelope. I got to what I figured was about 100 yds. and I held high on the does sholder. I shot and she ran off with a leg flailing around. She went out of sight (about 100 yds.) and so I paced back to my daughter (40 paces) then paced to the fence near where the doe had been (150paces). So the shot had been ~110 yds. The shot had broke the leg and gone through enough brisket so that she blead out and died fairly quickly.

About a month and a half later I was watching a great whitetail buck walking away from me and out of my life. I held between his antlers and squeesed. He dropped. The slug had entered beside his tail and traveled along the side of the spine and logged in his shoulder. (ruined some good steaks). I had to walk up and finnish him with one in the neck. I paced back to where I' d shot from (213 paces) I could not believe that so paced back to the deer (211 paces)

I was shooting a .58 cal. Enfield Musket. With 90 gr. pyrodex behind a minnie ball (can' t remember the wt.)

The buck scored 142 7/8 and went into the LONGHUNTER record book.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a doe last season with my knight at 125yds. 100gr pyrodex, knight .260 sabots, with a scope. Fairly easy shot, as it was mostly open. My best shot was on a fox at almost 100yds with the same setup. I think that gun can shoot better than I can.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:12 AM
Spike

The first year I owned my Knight I dropped a big doe at 140 yrd acroos a open cornfield,stong crosswind the doe went 10/15 yds.and dropped.used 90grs. fff and 303 REM. SABOT.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

213 lasered yards. Doe in open field. TC Encore, 150grs Pyrodex, 240 gr Hornady JHP. Leupold 3x9 scope. Home made shooting sticks.

Quick Reply: What was your longest shot made?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.