Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST's

Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady SST's

I have killed two does and one coyote with 300 grain bonded SWs in my Omega with2 Pyrodex pellets. My first doe was at about 90 yards if I remember correctly and last years was under 20 yards. Both were pass thrus. I hit the 90 yard doe a little far back and it ran maybe 100 yards with a good blood trial. The 20 yard doe was a bang flop. Both the entrance and exit holes on the does were the same. The entrance was bullet size and the exit looked like three bullets exited side by side. The coyote was less than 20 yards and was a bang, explode, flop.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Where you shoot them has a lot to do with how far they go almost irregardless of the bullet.
I have another theory I would like to share... and I should say shot placement is a KEY, but there are a couple of other things that go along with shot placement...

Right after placement and penetration, the biggest effect that will detirmine the animal run out is "SHOCK" to the animal - not I am not talking the shock of the force of the bullet - but the "SHOCK" the animal recieves from a TRAMATIC event happening in the body. If the shock is so terminal/tramatic that the animal can not react it goes down.

The other thing I think makes a big difference is the animals "FLIGHT/FRIGHT RESPONSE SYSTEM"Has it been triggered before the shot and/orduring the shot - time in flight. If the animal knows you are there and/or the animal is alerted by a shot you may get "FLIGHT" even with good shot placement.

It is still my belief that "TRAMATIC SHOCK" can over-ride "FLIGHT"

Just a theory but I been working it for 52 years - actually it was my grampa that explained it me while he was shooting deer with an old30-30... a gun that is to weak to do anything now days - he didn't seem to have a problem with it though

Just some thoughts to mull over... also remember Spaniels thought about oxygen to the control center (the brain) - I think it was Spaniel...
Old 08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you always take shoulder shots on deer and hogs? If so why or why not?

No.Shoulder shots are not always available; brush, etc. Sometimes i have the chance to do either a shoulder shot or a low shot behind theshoulder and may do either one. My favorite shot on hogs is quartering away.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shot placement matters a lot, there is a place 3 inches over the heart where there is a nerve center right next to where all the big arteries from the top of the heart divide that is the spot I usually hit and its where all the bang flops come from for me.
This is by far the best place to hit a deer or hog. A quartering away shot in this area may take out only one lung but that does not matter: i have hadrunning hogs and deer just collapse and go sliding on the ground from this shot.

Where you shoot them has a lot to do with how far they go almost irregardless of the bullet.

Good post. The bullet has not been made that will turn a gut shot into a bang flop every time.Last hog I gut shot was inMarch and it still haunts me.That sow went a long ways and it took a second shot to put it down.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've killed16-20 deer and hogs with the 250 grain SST. Most of the powder chargeswere 90 grains of JSG. 90 grains of JSG is not a high velocity load by any stretch of the imagination. Only one bullet was ever recovered by me. That bullet fell out of the carcass of a sow as she was being loaded into the truck for a trip to the butcher.

That sow was kiilled at a lasered 192 yards. The bullet broke two ribs going in and expanded perfectly to within three-sixteenths inch of the base. It now weighs about 167 grains.

Have seen all kinds of complaints about lack of expansion and over expansion of the 250 grain SST bullet: On another board i sawthe same guy make both arguments separated by a few months.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Chap-I too have returned to Nosler. I shoot the 260 HG over 115gr 777. Last seasonI had totrack a double lung shot deer over 150 yds. Massive damage on the exit side after taking out 5 ribs. Little damage to the lungs. The deer died in mid stride,but some places I hunt,over 30 yds is unexceptable.

Charlie
Old 08-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader wrote

Just a theory but I been working it for 52 years - actually it was my grampa that explained it me while he was shooting deer with an old30-30... a gun that is to weak to do anything now days - he didn't seem to have a problem with it though

AH the good ole "THUDY THUDY"

My old marlin 30/30had no problem with this Thanksgiving day buck

I know what you mean though.Your grandpa was WISE
I'll bet more game has been taken with that caliber than most all others combined.

Thats my Dad in the back with a little boy we were introducing to hunting,good kid..He put me on the buck when everyone else was 2 miles away.He had an idea that this buck had put the slip on him and finally figured him out
SMART MAN.
I was going to have him mounted (my fist to be mounted) the taxidermist shop was broken into and all racks were stolen.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I some how do not see what testing 70-80-90-or 100gr would prove for me since I start looking for loads that work with at lease 100gr of BH or 110 of 777. I have heard of people having these problem before and wondered about it. Is it possible that light loads do not open the bullet ? It sounds like Falcon uses lighter charges than myself and has good results, for a while I thought maybe they were not hitting them in the right place, now I am wondering if there is a mid range load that is non workable.
Chap what size load were you using? I personally have to hold the load I use on the 250's down to keep them from fraging unless I use the more expensive bullets, but I like to shoot them at 2200 fps to which is a little beyond what most people use. Lee
I have stuck with 100g of loose 777 for last 3 years, after I learned that shooting 150g of 777 pellets with PowerBelts is a formula for disaster (and it was).
Chap
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

Chap-I too have returned to Nosler. I shoot the 260 HG over 115gr 777. Last seasonI had totrack a double lung shot deer over 150 yds. Massive damage on the exit side after taking out 5 ribs. Little damage to the lungs. The deer died in mid stride,but some places I hunt,over 30 yds is unexceptable.

Charlie
Wise move on returning to Nosler, they are a strong great expanding bullet on meat not bone.Your shot/recoveryis consistent with my theory that the SW/SST head is too hard for expansion when it doesn't hit something solid, pencil in, pencil thru lungs and big exit since it hit a rib and then expanded.Regards, Chap
Old 08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: beast44k

I don't know or care about the ballistics of the SST's, I hunted with them last season and they did squat on putting down deer.
I don't care for them either. I shot 2 deer with them last year and was not impressed at all. I did recover both animals as they were both boiler room shots, but what I didn't care for is the lack of blood and what looked like zero expansion. The exit hole on both animals was the same size as the entrance hole. Both deer ran about 40-50 yards. I was shooting the shotgun version, but it's the same bullet at a slightly higher FPS. The shots were 165 yards and 45 yards, if it makes a difference. I do like the accuracy however.

Ishoot a Nosler Partition 260 grain HG bullet out of my OptimaProover 100 grains of 777 loose and that bullet is insane.I shot a deer with it too. The exit wound was the size of a half dollar and it looked like a crime scene where I shot it. That deer only ran 30 yards on the same boiler room shot. That deer was 30 yards away when I pulled the trigger.

I'm selling my shotgun. I'll use my muzzleloader if I hunt in a shotgun zone this year.

Quick Reply: Hornady SST's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.