Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out? >

just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Well last week my dad and I finally decided to get a couple of rifles. Since kansas just changed some of their regulations we might get to gun hunt this year if we dont succed with our bows. I think we got a smokin deal on a couple of optima elites in stainless steal with a .50 cal/.270 combo for right at about $800. So next weekend is going to be our first time to the rifle range, I know that there is alot that goes into hunting with a muzzle loader and just shooting them also. Ive been reading up on the basics, but if you've got any advice for a newb I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks, I just can't wait to get out and go get some shooting in.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

have fun

start with a small load to get use to it. if you are using pellets, try 100grains. If powder, then start with90-100grains. After you get use to it, then step up to the big loads if you want but 90-100grains will do the job out to 100yards easy I like 100grains of triple 7 pellets, but recently I just switched to the blackhorn 209 powder and a 115grain load. Grab some different sabots to try. I like shockwaves but I hear SST and many others do the job also. Barnes makes some very good loads also.

Goodluck again and happy shooting.. remember the more you shoot, the better feel you get for your Ml'er. Also, try some freehand shots without a rest after you get it sighted in because 50% of the time you may not have a solid rest to shoot from in the real world

after you are done, take the time to break down and clean the gun. Some people slack on that part and wonder where missfires and etc come from.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Optima Elites are good rifles from all I have read. I am sure they will serve you well. Since it is a .50 caliber, first thing you need to consider is what legal projectiles are in your State, and what kind of ranges are you expecting to encounter. Also if scopes are legal or not. From there choose a projectile that will get the job done as efficient as possible. Also check into whether Black Horn 209 powder is legal and if you can get your hands on any. That is a great powder and with a good hot primer should shoot real well in your rifles.

There are lots of other things you will need. Cappers and de-cappers. Primers, loading jags, short starters, brushes, solvent, oil, breech plug grease, just to name a few. Get a good powder measure with a see through design with a cut off funnel. And if you can not get Black Horn, try some Pyrodex RS or Triple Se7en 2f. You might want to pick up some 250 grain Shockwaves, 300 grain XTPs and some different sabots...

But the first thing you need to do is clean your rifle. Learn all the parts of the rifle. And read your manual and know it inside and out.. good luck with your rifles.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice to youis to sell everything you have to me for a fraction of what you paid for it, run away as fast as you can and consider yourself lucky.

This is the advice I was givin when I made the same post,I did not listen and now I am hooked.

I will leave the bullett and load advice to shooters with much more knowldge than I but I will say welcome to the sickness
Old 08-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Sweet

I'd say, strip them down and clean them till they are squeeky clean, with solvents and or warm soapy (Dawn) water

And have at it[8D]

One word of safety...Always keep your head in the game. It's easy to get distracted when shooting with friends and family. So make sure you mark your ramrods for the Empty Barrel postion(Witness Marks) and the Loaded postions so you can check your rifles at any stage in the loading procedure.

If you are in any doubt about your load...STOP, remove the breech plug, and push the whole load out the rear of the barrel and clean up, and start over

Let's all go home in one piece..Amen?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice Lane
Amen
Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I learned my first year hunting....

--Keep ALL your ML stuff in one bag together!
--Buy 2 boxes of the same primers and put one box in your vehicle. Have you ever forgotten your release for your bow?
--Buy some speed load tubes. That is how I keep track of what goes in the barrel in the dark morning when I am excited.
--Shoot enough to gain some confidence in you new ML. It is a wonderful sport!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

pheasantHUNTER121
ORIGINAL: MoNoFletch

I learned my first year hunting....

--Keep ALL your ML stuff in one bag together!
--Buy 2 boxes of the same primers and put one box in your vehicle. Have you ever forgotten your release for your bow?
--Buy some speed load tubes. That is how I keep track of what goes in the barrel in the dark morning when I am excited.
--Shoot enough to gain some confidence in you new ML. It is a wonderful sport!

Duh... What was I thinking[8D]

pheasantHUNTER121

Get me your address and I'll get some Powder Tubes out to ya ASAP
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

LN'
Check your PM's!!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember...

Powder first, bullet second!!!

Remove Ramrod!!!

Swab between shots with a DAMP (not wet) patch...

NO Smokeless powder!!!

And finally...You are basically making a pipe bomb...So be careful!!!

Quick Reply: just got my first muzzleloader!!! any suggestions before I take it out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.