Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Firestorm question after day at the range >

TC Firestorm question after day at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Firestorm question after day at the range

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Default TC Firestorm question after day at the range

Just got back from my first experience of shooting a flintlock. Bought the TC Firestorm this year and had a great time with it when it went off. Other than the very first shot, it only fired when powder was poured directly into the nipple. I am writing to ask for suggestions, or comments if anyone else experienced this problem. Some notes on what I was shooting. 2 50 grain triple 7 pellets with 250 shock wave TC sabots. I originally had the pyrodex pellets but my buddy said to go with the triple 7 since it would be easier to clean. I didn't have any with me so he went and got a box of his he had left from last year. Another guy later told me my problem could have been the pellets had accumulated some moisture since they were already opened last year and had been stored. I did buy a new box tonight and will test it out to see if a difference is made. I also bought (but didn't install) a new hot shot nipple due to the recomendation of my buddy after all the misfires we had today. Shot a total of 15 rounds and only one went off without pouring powder into the nipple. The total amount of powder I was using was 3 pushes including the one in the nipple.
All in all, it was the most fun I have ever had at the range and got some great groups at 50 yards (except the one that delayed a little more than I anticipated....would have hit the deers big toe)
Happy with the gun and just dropped another chunk of change on more pellets and sabots so I can go back to the range tomorrow but wanted to ask if you thought the misfires were due to a moisture problem with his pellets or should I change to the hot shot nipple. Thanks in advance for you help and my wife thanks you too for giving me something to spend more money on.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 PM

Default RE: TC Firestorm question after day at the range

A sidelock shooting pellets in my opinion is a dumb idea and thats whats giving you problems.

Buy some loose pyrodex or triple 7 and kick the pellets to the curb.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ya` got me confused as all heck rob. You start out talking about a flintlock, and there is aTC Firestormflintlock. Then you refer to putting powder in the nipple, something a flintlock does not have. Caplocks have nipples, and there is also a TC Firestorm caplock. So I assume that is what you have.

The first thing you should do isditch the T7 pellets. The firestorm is made for Pyrodex pellets. T7 is much harder to ignite than is Pyrodex. I recommend you print out the Firestorm manual from the link below and read it before your next range session. Good luck, you should have a ball with that gun. Be sure to give us another report when you get it rolling.

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/FireStormManual_CL_and_FL.pdf

(Edit) By the way, I agree with gander. You'll be a lot better off with loose Pyrodex or T7.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I am going to guess that you're shooting a flintlock with pellets. And the best igntion comes when you prime the touch hole liner area. Your problem is the pellets. While the rifle is made to shoot pellets, they still have to ignite them.

Try this. With your small pan flask, dump about 10 grains of black powder down the barrel, then set your pellets on top of that. Primer the pan as normal and then give it a try.

In the future, ditch the pellets. Get some Goex 2f black powder and shoot that rifle like it was intended to be shot.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Cayugad, betcha a cold beer it's a caplock.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a cap lock but even if it isn't ditch the pelletts for those types of rifles thats most likely your problem,If it's a TC it will go boom if it's cleam and taken care of.
Get some loose powder for a flintlock or caplock.
Use the pelletts in the inlines and even then try loose powder so you can customize your load.
Good luck
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM

Its a flintlock. My terminology is what needs some fixin. Anyways, here is the link to see the gun I own. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzModernFlint.php

The owner of the gun shop where I bought my firestorm sold me the pyrodex pellets with the gun. My buddy who was showin me the ins and outs of the gun only shoots triple 7 out of his inline so he assumed they would be better than the pyrodex pellets for mine as well even thought it is a flint.

At the range, I just took his advice on using the 777 vs. the pyrodex but I need to go back today and try some rounds with the pyrodex pellets.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 AM

thank you for the responses so far.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I am going to guess that you're shooting a flintlock with pellets. And the best igntion comes when you prime the touch hole liner area. Your problem is the pellets. While the rifle is made to shoot pellets, they still have to ignite them.

Try this. With your small pan flask, dump about 10 grains of black powder down the barrel, then set your pellets on top of that. Primer the pan as normal and then give it a try.

In the future, ditch the pellets. Get some Goex 2f black powder and shoot that rifle like it was intended to be shot.
+1. Agree with Cayugad, get some loose 2F or 3F. I would get 3F since you can then use it for your pan if you run out of 4F. Chap Gleason
Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Spike

Others have given you the advice to use loose powder. I shoot a Firestorm, and can confirm that this is the way for you too go. I usually shoot a round ball over 90 grains of 2F Goex, but the 338 grain grain platinum powerbelt is also very accurate. I use 4F Goex in the pan. Good luck, I think you will enjoy the Firestorm.

Quick Reply: TC Firestorm question after day at the range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.