Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blown scope, lead sled to blame? >

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:32 AM

Default RE: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Jascoesens - look at it this way. Lets say you took your scope and layed it in your open hand. Then you smacked it with a rubber mallet. It would fly off your hand and onto the ground - and probably not get damaged. Now set it on a concrete floor and give it a whack with the mallet. You are definately going to jar the internals. Maybe enough to cause damage. Think about recoil as the invisible mallet.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, I know that sound simplistic but sometimes that's the easiest way to describe something.
All I am trying to say is that too much resistance is not good for equipment.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike

Thanks guys! You are passionette about our sport and I like that. However I think it is time for me to respectfully agree to disagree. I would suspect that the scope was going to fail regardless. It has happened at least once before.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Few arewilling to loadtheir top of the line muzzleloader that has an expensive scope with 150 grains of Pyrodex and a 300 grain XTP and then fire the gun with the butt against a tree. This is what you are doing with a lead sled with 50-75 pounds of shot on it.

Oftenshoot on alocal range. Watched several guys crack gun stocks,trash their scopes, and break theirscope mounts usinglead sleds. One guy was surprised that the stock on his beautiful pre-64 Winchester .375H&H cracked with 100 pounds of lead on the sled. Folks, there are no lead sleds in the woods. Get a good recoil pad and/or a padded garment: If that does not do it for you reduce your loads.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last week I shot a bunch of loads off in just a t-shirt.(pants too for all you wise guys...lol)My shoulder is not quite as unsore today. I usually have a pair of neoprene gloves in my box that i use as a pad under my shirt to my Hawkens. For my flat butt stocked rifles like the Renegade, I got me a slip on recoil pad at Wally World that I put on to test groups. When done, I just slip it back off. And its a heck of a lot cheaper than a lead sled.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I'm scared to use mine.
My shooting bench has a front attatchment for holding the front,I'll just use that for now
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

saxman - there is no reason to be afraid to use your lead sled. Just don't pile it up with shot. YOu need some give. Heck, you may not even need any weight on it for your ML. But I don't think I would put more than 25 lb on it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Just curious...

What do you guys do when hunting with these big shoulder thumpers....carry your lead sled with you?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mr. Loony - So are you trying to stir up trouble here too like you didon the other forum?
These guys are all great guys - we do not need your sarcastic, abusive comments in here.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Just curious...

What do you guys do when hunting with these big shoulder thumpers....carry your lead sled with you?
No sir
I am just trying to sight in my rifle as accurately as possible and to se which bullett and load preforms the best while taking my human element out of the picture.
I have a flinching problem and am hoping that the lead slead will help me eliminate this problem through proper pratice.
I have every intention of shooting my gun in real life situations after a proper sight in.

Quick Reply: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.