Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie - Any suggestions? >

Newbie - Any suggestions?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie - Any suggestions?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Newbie - Any suggestions?

New to muzzleloading and need some advice. I just purchased a CVA Optima (.50 cal) that I will be using to hunt deer primarily in Kansas. I'll be able to get several practice sessions in before hunting but I'm still searching for some loads to start shooting. From what I've gathered on here,many ofyouprefer to use loose powder for several different reasons. Being a newbie, I was thinking pellets might be easier to use until I get some more experience and I was planning on starting with 100 grains (2x 50 gr). Am I offbase here or will pellets be fine for a while? Any suggestions on what type of pellets to shoot? Also, my initial thoughts were to start shooting with Powerbelts, but I am also open to suggestions on this one. From what I've read, Kansas does not seem to be too restrictive on the types of bullets you can use so I should be able to try almost anything. I was thinking of starting somewhere between the 245 grain to 300 grain area for the Powerbelts and then trying a saboted bullet in the same range. Will these work shooting 100 grains? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Newbie - Any suggestions?

223,270,300,338 for the platinums.

Copper series, and 80grs of loose Pyrodex, 245,295,348 (348 is a good elk bullet but works fine on deer too)

My elk load is a 405gr powerbelt with 80gr Pyrodex RS.

I'd use loose powder right off the bat, Just buy a powder measure, Roughly $5 to $9, Pick the bullet you use and let us know and we can set you up with a starting point with powder charge. With Powerbelts in all sizes i always start with 70gr.

Buy an assortment of primers too.

Winchester W209
Winchester 777
Remington Kleanbore
CCI 209 shotshell (Red box)

Also buy a .54cal bore brush and you can attach that to your ramrod and use that to clean out the breech plug threads.

A good breech plug grease is a big must or else you end up with a stuck plug!

What kind of distance are looking to shoot in kansas?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

First suggestion from me would always be read the manualfolowed bya complete takedown for a thorough cleaning. I can see nothing in particular wrong with your choice of components (other than expense). To cut down on expense, you might want to try loose powder along with some Hornady XTPs or Speer Gold Dots of appropriate size, then matched to a properly fitting sabot. By the bullets and sabots in bulk and enjoy a lot more shooting for a lot less money. Winchester 209 primers should be plenty.

Cayugad has a list of items a beginner should pick up - you might want to locate that list here on the forum.

Take your time and enjoy the sport!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

winchestor 209s
Shockwave superglide Sabots(bonded or plain work fine) 250 grains
2 pellets or start off with 90grains of loose powder

After about 6-7 shots you will probably be ready to step up and try different combos. I perfer 115grains of Blackhorn powder with a 250 shockwave sabot. It doesnt have the kick of 150 grains but will shoot fairly good out to 125 yards. Decide how far you want to shoot. Some like 200 yards shots. I perferr keeping it under 100 yards. If so, 100 grains works fine. If you want to go 150-200 yards then 150grains of powder will be needed to ensure a good kill shot.

every ML'er is different. If it doesnt group good, keep trying. Its fun and enjoy shooting. The more you shoot, the better you learn your gun
Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like UC said,First suggestion from me would always be read the manualfolowed bya complete takedown for a thorough cleaning.
After that it depends on what you are willing to put in to it and I dont mean money all though some is necessary.
The Power Belts and the pellets are awful pricey, and as far as I am concerned 100grs may well be to much with a PB they will shoot accurate but if you push them to hard they can fragiment some times when they hit especally at close range.
Also differant guns like and shoot best with different things so it is best to try several bullets, if you can use sabots that is a very good option with a multitude of bullets thatwill shoot good and much flatter than the conicals of any discription. There is also the Sabortooth which is similar to a PB only it has a better design of hollow point and is cheaper, and the FPB which is a new design of conical which has a better BC and is capable of good velocity and a flatter trajectory.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff6101

New to muzzleloading and need some advice. I just purchased a CVA Optima (.50 cal) that I will be using to hunt deer primarily in Kansas. I'll be able to get several practice sessions in before hunting but I'm still searching for some loads to start shooting. From what I've gathered on here,many ofyouprefer to use loose powder for several different reasons. Being a newbie, I was thinking pellets might be easier to use until I get some more experience and I was planning on starting with 100 grains (2x 50 gr). Am I offbase here or will pellets be fine for a while? Any suggestions on what type of pellets to shoot? Also, my initial thoughts were to start shooting with Powerbelts, but I am also open to suggestions on this one. From what I've read, Kansas does not seem to be too restrictive on the types of bullets you can use so I should be able to try almost anything. I was thinking of starting somewhere between the 245 grain to 300 grain area for the Powerbelts and then trying a saboted bullet in the same range. Will these work shooting 100 grains? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
If you have a buddy that is into MLing it would be best to go out with him the first time to shoot your gun. I would use the Manufacturer remcommended bullet and load for the gun, since it is a CVA that would be a Powerbelt with 100g or two pellets of 777 or Pryrdex. Any primer will work, but shoot the one that CVA recommends. After you get comfortable, then buy loose and try different bullets and powders (I recommend a strong bullet--Nosler partition, Barnes MZ, TMZ, SpitFire, Origonal, FlatNose 4584345/70 bullet,Speer Gold Dot any strong bullet that will break bone and not fragmentat 2000 fps). Follow the book load and book procedures then branch out into the "unknown". I would NOT buy a lot of different bullets and primers, too confusing for a new person. i would learn to shoot and clean what I have with excellence for the first year. 2nd year after the season play around with powers, primers and bullets by gleening info from here and Modern Muzzleloading. You will have to do some reading and studying and shooting.

Best Wishes, Chap Gleason
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

I had excellent results with pyrodex pellets and not so good results with 777. I am currently using 120gr. Shockey's Gold with a 338gr. Platinum Powerbelt and shoot cloverleafs with my Optima Pro.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 PM

not hard to buy an assortment of primers to have on hand. Go out to the range with one primer, take the next box to the next range session. Not hard so someone to do even a newbie.

Primers can and will affect accuracy. CCI shot like chit in my omega. Thank goodness that saxman gave me some 777 and kleanbores or else i would have given the omega away.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff - yes. I have a suggestion. RUN. Don't look back. This stuff is more addicting than crack. Any muzzleloading equipment you have purchased, you can split up and send to the guys in this forum.

Now that being said and knowing that it is too late for you, welcome.We will all try to help you out if we can. Muzzleloading is funbut can befrustrating at times.
Being that you do not have much time to try a bunch of different bullets and powder combos. I would suggest that you go with a Powerbelt in the 245 - 300 gr range and loose Pyrodex as opposed to pellets. Yes, the pellets are easier butlimit your charge adjustment. Get a powder measure and you can adjust your charges in 10 gr increments to see what shoots best.
Good luck

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I should be taking shots less than 100 yards this year since most of the areas I will be hunting are pretty tight. I might stretch it out to 150 yards or so if I get enough practice and feel comfortable with that range. Definitely don't want to wound an animal. I should get several practice sessions in over Labor Day weekend and I'll let you guys know how everything goes. Thanks again for the feedback!

Quick Reply: Newbie - Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.