Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 White UMag Front Sight Question >

White UMag Front Sight Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White UMag Front Sight Question

Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default White UMag Front Sight Question

Hi Guys- who has done some front sight mods to their UMag?Here in WA state it's iron sights only.So my aging eyes and iron sights don't work so well together.I changed out the UMag rear sight with a Lyman peep, and likewise changed out the front sightusinga Marble white bead (1/16" I recall), but I'm still having a hard time with sight picture on more distant targets. I think a simple blade front sight would work better but I haven't found one at the usual online places (Midwayusa, Midsouth, etc).Anyone make similar front sight tweaks and if so what did you use?

thank you!
phil
Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: White UMag Front Sight Question

philnie

I am wondering if the RMC "V" peep site might not serve you better than a real peep sight??? One of the knocks of peep sights are low light conditions.

The other option for the front might be a fiber optic front sight. You can get different sizes of piping to reduce the covrage of an animal at long ranges...

Just sharing some thoughts...
Old 08-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Blackpowder/RMC/RMC_V-Peep_Sight_TC_Models_with_5_x_16_Octagon/Page_1/BLK3057607.html
Some times a picture helps try this site.
There is also another option, In states where I can not use a scope so my poor old eyes can focus I put a Ghost peep in back and a shielded home made front ring peep in front this lets me focus on the target and avoid the problems my tri focals cause. Lee
Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Umag has a round barrel. RMC might have one that would work http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

philnie

I am wondering if the RMC "V" peep site might not serve you better than a real peep sight??? One of the knocks of peep sights are low light conditions.

The other option for the front might be a fiber optic front sight. You can get different sizes of piping to reduce the covrage of an animal at long ranges...

Just sharing some thoughts...
Vpeep: www.RMCSports.com

Chap

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

are fiber optics legal?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I replaced my stock front sight on my Umag with a Lyman 17AHB globe sight. It is about the same hieght as the stock blade and has 7 different inserts to choose from. I also have the Lyman peepfor the rear sight.I posted some shooting results with it on this thread http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2949769including a rough picture through the sights showing the front insert I have in there right now.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

Those sights are either Marbles or Truglo. Try a Twilight appeture or no appeture at all. My brother likes the Twilight and I prefer no appeture (like a ghost ring). The fiber optic fronts can be helpfull although the one that came on the UMags and M97s have too big a bead. I like the smaller beads myself.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goatbrother

Those sights are either Marbles or Truglo. Try a Twilight appeture or no appeture at all. My brother likes the Twilight and I prefer no appeture (like a ghost ring). The fiber optic fronts can be helpfull although the one that came on the UMags and M97s have too big a bead. I like the smaller beads myself.
The Ghost sights from William are like 79 dollars, the RMC Vpeep was $29, and both did the same thing. If your looking for function and value, go the Vpeep, I don't know the advantage of the Ghost sight over the Vpeep.
Chap
Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if the v-peep blade would fit in the original Umag rear sight? That would be cheaper yet.

Quick Reply: White UMag Front Sight Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.