Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader? >

Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader?

This is my first modern muzzleloader and I can't seem to work up a load that shoots consistanly out of it. What bullet/powder load works best for ya'll? Up until now, I've only used traditional styled cap lock muzzleloaders.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader?

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

This is my first modern muzzleloader and I can't seem to work up a load that shoots consistanly out of it. What bullet/powder load works best for ya'll? Up until now, I've only used traditional styled cap lock muzzleloaders.
Check your manual or the Traditions site for a PDF of the Manual and first shoot the gun with the manufactuer recommended load, powder and bullet. Most of the traditions shoot Shockwaves well, like 250g or 300g SW with 2 pellets. Not sure of the model of this rifle, once you get it shooting well with "book loads", then branch out into other bullets/powders/primers/sabots. I have done this with all my MLers, really the first year, shooting the manufacturerloads, bullets, sabots and primer. They I did research on "what works". Reason you do that is if you have accuracy problems, you can send the gun back into the factory and send the target and say "hey what gives, I used book loads". If you send themsomthing that is not in theirexperience, they won't know if that is good or bad.
Chap Gleason
Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

"Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader?"

Not since I got into sidelocks, but I still have it and Itook my first ML deer with it. I shot 100 grains pyro RS with a 240 xtp in the supplied sabot with a remington kleanbore209 primer. It shoots the t/c cheap shots equally well with the same load. 4x traditions scope that came on the gun as a combo package, cloverleafs at 50 yards.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about it. Not a whole lot of info on the website. Occasionally someone asks about them. I think they are a great gun for someone looking to try ML'ing without a huge investment. They're economical and accurate too.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Like most inlines they are going to tune in with a powder charge between 80-110 grains of powder. Get some Pyrodex RS and start at 80 grains. Be sure to swab between shots. Get some 240 gr XTP, 250 grain Shockwaves, and 300 grain XTP and a pack of powerbelts. One of them is going to shoot good. Also start your testing close.

I saw a person testing his rifle with open sights at 100 yards once. He was furious that it would not group. I told him it was kind of hard to make it groups since the average group at that distance is about 3 inches. I suggested he move to the 25 yards line. He ignored my advise and constinued to shoot up his powerbelts until they were gone and then declared his rifle did not like them.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Traditions Yukon

I've owned a Traditions Yukon 50 cal. and up to this week I' be lucky to hit a stop sign size target at 100 yards. After much research and very confusing advise from every one I talked to, I have resolved the problem. When I bought the gun it came with a dvd which covered all styles of muzzle loaders. I even talked to Traditions personally who told me not to use power belts, (sorry to you power belt buffs, they will not shoot straight in this gun) I started all over read the owners manual again and it reccamended 2 50gr. pellets with 200 gr. sabots, the same pellets with 250gr. and the 300 gr. sabots. I went to walmart and they had the t/c shock wave in mag express sabots. I bought 200gr. and 250gr. started at 25yards ran a dry patch in and out to remove grease, and fired a primer at the ground, then loaded 2 50 gr. pellets with the 250gr. sabot. and fired at the target. Then repeated with the dry patch, then fired a primer at the ground to remove any loose material then loaded again, and with great amazement fired into the same hole on the target. whoo hoo. finally now I can set the scope for the first time. repeated the same steps 4 more times with the same great results. had to clean breach at this point. the 200 gr. sabot had great results too, but the hit in a different place, so to all who have lost heart try a different bullet, make sure the bore is dry and grease free, and after shooting clean gun well.

Last edited by johnhog; 02-18-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Seeing as this post is over 4 years old Hopefully the OP has moved on to a better gun by now . What's up with so many new members making their first post one in reply to an old old thread . Seems to be getting rather common . Must be a reason

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Some times there are spam links, within the post itself or in the signature and if found they should be reported. Here I see nothing.

JW
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes what happens is a new member will read old threads, and forget where they are. Then they see something they want to respond to, and we have an old thread brought up.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Spike

Default ps to the other message

One very important message about what I did before I started over'
I cleaned the gun with Sweets 7.62 solvent to remove all the copper left by the power belts. Happy Happy Happy!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Spike

Sorry Guys I am a little green with all this, how ever I do have an old gun and an old problem and have a solution solution. I am happy that the gun has been salvaged, because I almost threw it into the scrap metal bin. I did not buy a better gun cause I could not afford it, and have seen better guns with the same problem. and thanks for understanding.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Traditions Yukon muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.