Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ML Conversions

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ML Conversions

Hey there guy's. I've been out of commission for a bit with a case of vertigo and a torn rotator cuff. Them babies hurt like h3ll.[:@] Got lot's of sleep with the vertigo.

Any whoooooo, I have a question for you all. A friend asked me today about my GM flintlock barrel. He wanted to know if it (or any flintlock barrel) could be converted to percussion. My first reation was; Why ruin something beautiful? My second thought was; I don't have a clue if it can be done. I suspect it probably can, just not sure how you go about doing it.

So,can it be done? Cost effective?

Thanks,

HA
Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ML Conversions

Yep! That's how the original drum & nipple arrangement came about. Simply drill out the touch hole, tap in a set of threads, screw in a drum and nipple. That's it for the barrel, anyway. The lock is a little more problamatic. If you want to use the same lock you've got to modify the lock plate so that the drum sits on it properly, and install a precussion hammer with a throw that will hit the nipple.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Semi!!!

I thought it would be do-able just wasn't sure. I'll pass it on.

Thanks again.

HA
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, what about taking a percussion and making it a flintlock? I have been seeing some great guns but all percssion. One of the states I hunt I can hunt flinter only?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Okay, what about taking a percussion and making it a flintlock?
It can be done, but is often more difficult depending on the gun you're starting with. If the gun has a drum and nipple arrangement you can remove the drum and replace it with a flash hole liner - that takes care of the barrel part. Then you need to fit a flint lock to the correct position to align with the flash hole. May or may not be easy to do - and may look funky depending on the lock used and stock configuration.

On some guns with a hooked breech it may bepossible to just get a flint barrel and lock to fit the stock.

All in all, it's a lot simpler (and probably cheaper) to buy the type of gun you want.