Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 50 cal. Ballistics >

50 cal. Ballistics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50 cal. Ballistics

Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Default 50 cal. Ballistics

Hello everyone. I just want to start by saying that I have been reading this forum for a while now but I don't make any posts so I guess you could say I'm new.

This past spring I decided it was time to get serious about my ML. After, some bad experiences in the past (mostly due to bad advice) I decided to start from a clean slate. Thats when I found this forum. Man I've learned alot since then.

Anyway, Ihadzeroed in the new omega at 50yds and decided to see how much it dropped at 100. First shot was actually 2"s high. I thought "this can't be right" so I shot again. Same thing. About 1.5"s to the right but it was still 2"s high. Is the bullet still rising at 100yds or do I have a problem?

I was shooting a .452 250gr gold dot, 2 50gr 777 pellets, knight high pressure sabots, and win 777 primers.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 50 cal. Ballistics

Don't worry, there's no problem. I'm not a ballistics expert, but every load that I shoot is higher at 100 yards than 50. For example, here are the ballistics for the load I've been using recently. It's not the same as your load, but it will give you an idea.

200 grain XTP with 100 grains 777

50 yards = 1.5" high
100 yards = 2.2" high

After 100 yards, it starts to drop

It is dead on at 150 yards, and 6" low at 200 yards.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome aboard. Sounds about right. If you re getting good groups I wouldnt change a thing. Stick around, all kinds of good advise around here.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum.

What you're experiencing could be because of the type of bullet and the powder charge.. At least you are smart enough to test the bullet at the different distances. 2" high at 100 yards is not the end of the world. For instance if you were shooting conicals, that probably would not be happening. If it bothers you, take the average shot you will encounter and sight in at that distance. Then learn the other distances you might encounter.

Good luck with your rifle. That is a great rifle you have there.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

SC Sportsman
Welcome to our group.
So far it sonds like mabe a little more shooting and finding a good grouping load you have confidence in is all thats needed. Lee
Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks guys. I sighted the rifle in at 50yds because thats about the farthest shot I will ever get. Iwanted to check it at 100yds just in case.

I plan on trying several different sabots to see which will give me the best groups. So far I have bought some crush ribs, hph 24, and 3-petal EZs. Should I shoot 3 or 5 shot groups to do the comparison? Also, how long should I let the barrel cool between groups.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM

3 shot groups are fine BUT 5 shot groups gives you more trigger
and the more trigger time you have the more Confident you will become with your load & your gun.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SC Sportsman

Thanks guys. I sighted the rifle in at 50yds because thats about the farthest shot I will ever get. Iwanted to check it at 100yds just in case.

I plan on trying several different sabots to see which will give me the best groups. So far I have bought some crush ribs, hph 24, and 3-petal EZs. Should I shoot 3 or 5 shot groups to do the comparison? Also, how long should I let the barrel cool between groups.
I like 5 since it shows a better pattern, and if all 5 are grouped, you know your gold. How long to barrel to cool, for best accuracy it should be cool or warm but not hot. Last weekend I used a battery operated tire pump with a needle on it that inflates balls and put that down the barrel for a couple of minutes. I shot a 3" group at 200 yards, which was excellent for me, since I had never shot that far before with any of my MLer. Cool barrel is critical to "bench shooters", meat hunters "it can't be too warm", why? Makes the sabot soft, then you get "blow by" and loose accuracy.
Chap Gleason

Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello everyone. I just want to start by saying that I have been reading this forum for a while now but I don't make any posts so I guess you could say I'm new.

This past spring I decided it was time to get serious about my ML. After, some bad experiences in the past (mostly due to bad advice) I decided to start from a clean slate. Thats when I found this forum. Man I've learned alot since then.

Anyway, Ihadzeroed in the new omega at 50yds and decided to see how much it dropped at 100. First shot was actually 2"s high. I thought "this can't be right" so I shot again. Same thing. About 1.5"s to the right but it was still 2"s high. Is the bullet still rising at 100yds or do I have a problem?

I was shooting a .452 250gr gold dot, 2 50gr 777 pellets, knight high pressure sabots, and win 777 primers.
Many of us use the 3" over method of sight in. Sight in any MLer rifle 3" high at 100 yards and you will be withing a kill zone of 6" form 0 to 170 yards with about any bullet. With CF rifles like a 270 or a 30-06 you will be good to go froom 0 to 250 yards. The distance of 170 yards for MLer is call MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range). The theory is that a deer's vitals are 9"-12" and your shooting thru a 6" pipe from 0 to 170, plenty of accuracy to get into a 12" pie plate.
Best Wishes with your new rifle,
Chap Gleason
Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I googled "250g .452 Speer Gold Dot Ballistic Coefficient"
and found this:

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
ballistic coefficient of .145 and a sectional density. of .140. .... 300-grain XTP MAG, Speer 300-. grain Gold Dot HP (designed for ...
www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20242%20Partial%20(LO).pdf - Similar pages
[/align]

so the BC is .145 of a Speer Gold dot but that is a 300g, and your shooting 250, so yours is going to be a bit less. I then looked up MV for 250g bullet with 2 50g pellets and it averaged 1725. Dropped those into here:

http://www.sav10ml.com/pages/load_data/traj_basic_dat.html

with BC of .145, 1725 MV, 250g bullet, sight in 50 yards, here is your ballistics chart.

My opinion, your not letting the arc of the bullet work for you, need to further sight in as I explained in another post. Chap

Quick Reply: 50 cal. Ballistics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.