Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 scopes for a triumph >

scopes for a triumph

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scopes for a triumph

Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default scopes for a triumph

OK guys i had planned to buy a Tc triumph which i still do

and add a omega Nikon Bdc scope for the ease of setting up a long shoot
some people say not to buy a bdc scope but buy a regular scope and set it up on the 3 over method or what ever you call it what are your thoughts

this will be my first ml my first time hunting with one i am in southwest Indiana where most shots will be under 100 but might get out to 200
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scopes for a triumph

If you are going to experience long distance open shooting, then a BDC would be a good idea. For instance, if I hunted out west for elk and antelope where my shots would be 100-200 yards, I would have the exact same rifle you picked and a Nikon Omega with BDC. BUT if your shots are maybe an ocassional long distance, but most of the time 100 or under. I think you can get the same results with a good scope and just practice and learn the drop to it.

I shoot a Black Diamond XR with a 4.5 power scope. At 150 yards, I put the thick part of the cross hair on the bulls eye and just over the top of it. Touch off and the bullet hits the bull almost every time. But when I am in the woods, I set the scope on 1.5X and walk around with it. Great field of view and handles the shadows.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

bigtim6656
I would not buy a BDC nikon for the BDC it is not likely that your best load will be 150 gr but the Nikon is a good scope and it has a 5" eye relief with enough range work where you have a 200yd range you can figure out on your range markers where your good shooting load actually hits. There are many other good scopes available check out some mil dot scopes that have a 4 inch eye relief. Nikon top of the line Bushnell, Burris and Swift are the ones that come to mind but there are many more. Lee
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

i know of one place which might be where i set up my stand is a cut area plowed down and has thicket growing in it with cut trails that would have shots any where from 10 yards to 500 it is huge
there is three other places that i will hunt that would have 200 yard shots
the dnr did alot of good work there
ORIGINAL: cayugad

If you are going to experience long distance open shooting, then a BDC would be a good idea. For instance, if I hunted out west for elk and antelope where my shots would be 100-200 yards, I would have the exact same rifle you picked and a Nikon Omega with BDC. BUT if your shots are maybe an ocassional long distance, but most of the time 100 or under. I think you can get the same results with a good scope and just practice and learn the drop to it.

I shoot a Black Diamond XR with a 4.5 power scope. At 150 yards, I put the thick part of the cross hair on the bulls eye and just over the top of it. Touch off and the bullet hits the bull almost every time. But when I am in the woods, I set the scope on 1.5X and walk around with it. Great field of view and handles the shadows.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

tc swears that the triumph is made for the 150 grain load and the 250 grain shockwave
ORIGINAL: lemoyne

bigtim6656
I would not buy a BDC nikon for the BDC it is not likely that your best load will be 150 gr but the Nikon is a good scope and it has a 5" eye relief with enough range work where you have a 200yd range you can figure out on your range markers where your good shooting load actually hits. There are many other good scopes available check out some mil dot scopes that have a 4 inch eye relief. Nikon top of the line Bushnell, Burris and Swift are the ones that come to mind but there are many more. Lee
Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigtim6656
I am a TC person most of my guns muzzle loader and otherwise are TC, I do have the Triumph as well as several others they will all handle 150 gr, but that is not the load that shoots minute of angle, only the Omega with 200gr SW will do that and thats just a fluke most shoot 110 gr the most accurate. I am sure you know that the most important qulaification of long range is accuracy a load that shoots 4 or 5 inch groups is not one I would want to depend on for 200yd accuracy all though using the new Blackhorn powder which does not seem to be near as tricky when it comes to changing the powder load I can get just under 2000 fps which would come close to the trajectory use in designing that scope. The max load with that powder is 120 gr. Lee
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the help do you wnat to sell your triumph
ORIGINAL: lemoyne

bigtim6656
I am a TC person most of my guns muzzle loader and otherwise are TC, I do have the Triumph as well as several others they will all handle 150 gr, but that is not the load that shoots minute of angle, only the Omega with 200gr SW will do that and thats just a fluke most shoot 110 gr the most accurate. I am sure you know that the most important qulaification of long range is accuracy a load that shoots 4 or 5 inch groups is not one I would want to depend on for 200yd accuracy all though using the new Blackhorn powder which does not seem to be near as tricky when it comes to changing the powder load I can get just under 2000 fps which would come close to the trajectory use in designing that scope. The max load with that powder is 120 gr. Lee
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

No Thank you, it does better than any other muzzle loader. With the load that shoots best in it I have gotten groups as small as 5/8 of an inch. I really dont need to waste powder by stacking more in the gun than it can burn either. I get 1960 for 110gr BH209 and can out shoot a lot of the center fires at our club, I suspect that Triumph will be around a long time. Lee
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Here'sthe PDFmanual for theNikon Omega BDC reticle scope:

http://nikonsro.com/fileuploads/pdfs/OMEGA_manual.pdf

Also,Nikonmakes the same Omega muzzle loading scope with theNikoplex reticle:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/group.php?group=16&subgroup=10
Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

i din't like the nikon at all. to long of eye relief, to narrow field of view, short overall length,=hard to mount on some guns, triumph being one of those guns. you have to watch how you place the scope on the bases, what i'm saying is with the maxima base you put your front ring on the frst slot and youhave to put the turretsof the scope right next to the ring and it really still needs to gofarther forward. all due to the long eye relief. not a good setup. I've put together quite a few and there's no way around it unless you get extended weaver style rings. the field of view sucks.

Quick Reply: scopes for a triumph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.