Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I did a comparison today... >

I did a comparison today...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I did a comparison today...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I did a comparison today...

After having poor consistency with Shockey's American Pioneer Powder in pellet form I wanted to try something else. The picture below shows 90 grain 777. The post below shows my group with 100 grains American Pioneer. These shots were taken at 40 yards with Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets in 250 grain. MyML is a H&R NEF Sidekick. I swabbed the same waybetween each shot.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I did a comparison today...

American Pioneer 100 Grains Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets in 250 grain 40 Yards

Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have not seen anything till you get BH209 working for you. I went through the same set of problems, ended up using 777 crud ring for a while, the step up to BH is a big one especially if the cost bothers you as far as I am concerned its worth it. The APP can be made to work good but you have to have a dehydrator and dry it out it will collect moisture no matter what you do if dry and packed with 40 pounds of wad pressure when you load it it will group unless you get a bad can[ which I did that's when I tried nasty 777 my Omega did fine with Pyrodex but the Triumph did not like it and 777 did group well even if I had to clean between shots
Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like 90 grains of Triple 7 is a winner in your gun with the shockwaves. For the costs of bh209 I'd continue using the Triple 7. Nice shooting.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much is the Blackhorn 209? Where does the "Crud Ring" form?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

You have not seen anything till you get BH209 working for you. I went through the same set of problems, ended up using 777 crud ring for a while, the step up to BH is a big one especially if the cost bothers you as far as I am concerned its worth it. The APP can be made to work good but you have to have a dehydrator and dry it out it will collect moisture no matter what you do if dry and packed with 40 pounds of wad pressure when you load it it will group unless you get a bad can[ which I did that's when I tried nasty 777 my Omega did fine with Pyrodex but the Triumph did not like it and 777 did group well even if I had to clean between shots
I agree! IMO it's worth the extra money. I don't get the crud ring but I still prefer BH 209 over 777. Granted I've never shot the APP but from what I've been told it's not the most accurate powder.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

$29.99 for 10oz, not including hazmat ($20 or so) and shipping ($9 or more).
if you are lucky and got a store that has it in stock plus tax.

I would stick with the 777. you can catch walmart at the end of the season and catch it for like $11 a pound, or $23 to $25,
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice group with the 777. You might pick up a can of Pyrodex RS and give that a try too.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

The American Pioneer you mention were in pellet form. Were you crushing the pellets with your ramrod before you seat the bullet? I was talking to a person with basically the same complaint of poor accuracy from the APP pellets. He was told to crush the sticks first, then seat the bullet with lots of pressure. Also do not swab between shots with the APP. They claim it is not necessary.

That group with the Triple Se7en is excellent. And it appears since you asked where the crud ring forms, that you do not experience a crud ring. So you have to look at the benefit of going to Blackhorn 209. No swabbing, does not rust the barrel as fast as other powders, excellent velocity. Then the bad points... COST!! So ask yourself, is the cost worth the idea of not swabbing between shots? I clean my rifles the same day I shoot them whether they are being shot with Pyrodex, Black Powder, Triple Se7en or even the modern center fires.. So for me the Black Horn does not justify the cost. But it would be fun to play with a bottle of it and see if it makes your gun shoot as good as it does in many of the other rifles that are being shot with it.

Very nice shooting there !!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

American Pioneer 100 Grains Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets in 250 grain 40 Yards

I am not surprised at this, see this:

Chap

Quick Reply: I did a comparison today...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.