Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Your opinions: T/C Triumph, Knight KRB7 >

Your opinions: T/C Triumph, Knight KRB7

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your opinions: T/C Triumph, Knight KRB7

Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Your opinions: T/C Triumph, Knight KRB7

I'm looking to get a muzzle loader to use for hunting. I really only plan to use it to extend my whitetail season. I've owned a CVA in the past and hated it to the poin that I refused to use it. So this time I'm looking to buy a quality Inline once and for all that I can use for the next many years to come.

I'm currently considering a Thompson Triumph or a Knight Roling Block (KRB7).

Thougthts? Opinions? Other Suggestions? I want to hear it all what should I get, or not get?

(FYI. I think I've already rulled out the encore and KP1 becasue I want a dedicated Muzzle loader)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your opinions: T/C Triumph, Knight KRB7

First off, welcome to the forum... nice to have you here.

Depending on where you live and what kind of shots you might experience, could make a big difference. Are you allowed to scope the rifle? Can you shoot sabots or only conicals?

Both of them are quality rifles with quality companies behind them. Both are going to last you a life time. Right now there is a powder on the market called Blackhorn 209 which seemed to be very much in demand by many. BUT it takes certain rifles to shoot it. The Triumph with the new powder is puttting some very impressive groups, with a Scoped rifle even out to 200 yards.

I do not own either. I have heard that the KRB is hard to get behind for shooting open sights. If you are going to scope the rifle, either will do the job just fine.

I like the looks of the KRB better then the Triumph but it is hard to argue the way these T/C rifles are shooting....
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 PM

I live on the east coast, so ranges above 100yrds are rare due to tree cover. I plan to put a scope on it and I plan to shoot saboted bullets
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

With that information..

The Triumph with weather shield is a great sabot shooter, easy to clean, fast remove breech plug, and can handle any powder on the market. With a good scope, there is nothing out of your range...
Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmaurath

I'm looking to get a muzzle loader to use for hunting. I really only plan to use it to extend my whitetail season. I've owned a CVA in the past and hated it to the poin that I refused to use it. So this time I'm looking to buy a quality Inline once and for all that I can use for the next many years to come.

I'm currently considering a Thompson Triumph or a Knight Roling Block (KRB7).

Thougthts? Opinions? Other Suggestions? I want to hear it all what should I get, or not get?

(FYI. I think I've already rulled out the encore and KP1 becasue I want a dedicated Muzzle loader)
Since you ask for "other opinions", if your not settled on the Triumph, then consider a Savage 10ML Smokeless smokepole, here is a comparison between the Savage and the TC Pro Hunter:

http://www.randywakeman.com/ballltd120.htm

which is a higher priced gun from TC than the Triumph, please note that I did not say better, only higher priced. You can see from the feature by feature comparison that the 10ML beats the Pro Hunter.

Bottom line, if you can shoot smokeless, do so, it costs less and is just as enjoyable as inlines. If your laws say no smokeless, then buy the Triumph, I know you will be happy with that choice also.
Chap Gleason

Old 06-23-2008, 03:38 PM

Savage would be ruled out too.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Savage would be ruled out too.
Savage is a MLer, you can't convert it to a CF or any other gun. Chap
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Its smokeless so thats close to a centerfire
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Its smokeless so thats close to a centerfire
Greetings FG,
So is "Blackhorn 209" close to a CF? As Lee has said, MLing is 1 shot hand loading. The savage is exactly that, and in fact loads are harder because 1g can make a big big difference in the Savage, with the inline and loose powder, it sometimes takes 10g to make effective change on POI. So CF has nothing to do with it, it is MLing pure and simple.Now if you want to say it is NOT primative, and Colorado has "primative weapons season" whereas most other states have "state of the art"equipment then I would say "yourright on". Best Wishes, Chap
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Savage is a good Muzzle loader and you sure don't see many used ones for sale in gun shops.
But I do have to laugh at a gunknowen for shooting smoke less powderbeing calleda smoke pole.
I say if it is legal where you are, and like it use it.
If I were to buy new today it would be the Knight KRB7. the smoke less Savage isn't legal in Michigan as far as I know. there was a bill last year to make them legal but I don't think it passed.

Al

Quick Reply: Your opinions: T/C Triumph, Knight KRB7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.