Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I woke early and the kids were still in bed >

I woke early and the kids were still in bed

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I woke early and the kids were still in bed

Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I woke early and the kids were still in bed

so I went for a little shoot with my GPR Flintlock. Fairly cool to start but man did it heat up quick. I was shooting off a set of tripod shooting sticks. My first target is at 25 yds shoting 245 gr Buffalo Ball-ets. Not bad.

I then moved the target out to 50 yds to see how they would group. I was surprised to see my shots landing about 3 inches above the paper.???? The good news was that the two shots I took , they were touching.I didn't want to mess with my sights, so I left well enough alone.

My second target was at 75 yds, using 70 gr Goex 3F and a 495 ball. I was minute of deer but I think I will practice a bit more before I'll take a shot at that range at an animal. Once again off the shooting sticks sitting.

With the sweat pouring off me and the deer flies on the feed, I packed everything up and headed for home.
Next time I think I might play with the ball-ets some more. They looked promising, maybe use an under wad.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I woke early and the kids were still in bed

Not too bad Hunt, You just need a bit more practice. And shoot of a good rest until you find a load your flinter likes. Shooting a flinter takes much more self control and practice to remain on the target for those few miliseconds between the flash powder and the main charge. And for leftys like me its even worse when you have the pan going off just inches in front of your nose. I've just learned to ignore it and concentrate on the sight picture until the rifle bucks and kicks me off target.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a lefty as well but I got me a lefty flinter. 75 yds has been the farthest I have shot with this rifle. I'm pretty tight at 50. I like to practice as I hunt, which is generally off of shooting stick and preferrably sitting in a nice comfy lawnchair.

I was just messing around with the 70 grs to see where it would shoot. This rifle seems to prefer 75-80 grs

Old 06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

well it looks good.I have not tried the buffalo ball-ets out of my rifles for a long time. I sure have enough of them here.. Found a good sale..
Old 06-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was shooting out of the 1:60 GPR. Not bad at at 25 yds. My target stand isn't big enough to comfortably shoot at 50 due to the elevation. I'll get a bigger box and see how they do at 50 and 75. I have some 270 gr maxi ball-ets to shoot as well. I didn't clean between shots and it was kind of greasy when I did swab it.??
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM

huntaway, get a big 10-15 gallon bucket and fill it with sand. You'll beable to get all of your lead back and cast ammo. The buckets hold up great and if you ever develope a leak, i think a rubber floor mat will seal up after the bullet goes through.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is the reason your bucket holds up so well Gander is that you put all of the bullets through the same hole?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Is the reason your bucket holds up so well Gander is that you put all of the bullets through the same hole?
I do my best but i do get those low shots that blow out the bottom when i first take a new rifle out to 100 yards
Old 06-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

huntaway, get a big 10-15 gallon bucket and fill it with sand. You'll beable to get all of your lead back and cast ammo. The buckets hold up great and if you ever develope a leak, i think a rubber floor mat will seal up after the bullet goes through.
It's not bad enough I have to drive 10 miles each way to shoot, now he wants me to bring my sand box too!!!

If I didn't have to travel it wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Thanks FG.