Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rework old  barrel or get new??? >

Rework old barrel or get new???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rework old barrel or get new???

Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rework old barrel or get new???

I have a .50 cal. Investarms barrel that has some serious corrosion in the upper section from the muzzle on in for about eight inches. Becasue the damage is closet o the muzzle accuracy is not great. I was wondering if it couldbe reworked/cut to a .54 cal? The only problem I see isthatit is a chrome linedbarrel. Willthis makethis idea undoable?

Should I just go and buy a new barrel in the caliber and twist I want???
Old 06-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rework old barrel or get new???

If it is chrome lined I think it is a loosing cause. I would purchase a new barrel so you have a good shooter. Then take the old one and lapp it with some valve grinding compound, paying special attention to the area needing the more attention. You then have nothing to loose should the barrel not turn out, and you have a good shooting barrel to play with in the mean time.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like that idea Dave. I didn't thinkof the valve compound. That mightwork the roughspots out enough to get itshooting somewhat. Then again Ilike the idea of a new barrel. Would GM be my best bet?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If I had to go with a new barrel, Green Mountain would be my choice. Now you just have to decide if you want to shoot roundball or sabots. I think them traditional sabot rifles would surprise a lot of people, but roundball are sure fun to shoot.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Spike

rafsob,

Just a thought about lapping (reworking) your barrel. If you concentrate on primarily lappping the muzzle end you are likely to end up with a barrel that is tightest at the breach end and loose fitting at the muzzle end. Seems to me that would way adversely affect accuracy; sort of like an off-centered QLA muzzle. I would tend to go with the replacement barrel and not mess with the damaged one, unless you have aboundant time on your hands. Here is a link to an excellant article on firelapping your barrel if you are interested. http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/48 . Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

James
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wellfellas I am thinking of goingwith the new barrel. Thanks for the lapping article, jascoesens. I will play with the old barrel and maybe use thearticle tohelp me out.

Now as toorderingfrom GM. I neverdid this with them before. Dothey have ready made barrels or do I have tospecial order one?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Buy the new GM barrel and take the old one to a gunsmith and have him cut it down and crown it. Some shorter barrels shoot great.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

Buy the new GM barrel and take the old one to a gunsmith and have him cut it down and crown it. Some shorter barrels shoot great.
Another great idea and one that would be a very reasonable one at that. I own a .54 cal in a 21 inch carbine and it shoots great. I can see no problems with another 21" barrel this time in .50 cal. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

I would suggest you cut it down firstand recrown it, then see how it shoots, then buy a new barrel if that one doesn't work out. What do you need two barrels of the same caliberand length for unless your trying to keep up with SabotLoader and buy 6 Renegades . Chap Gleason
Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chap, I will give my gunsmith a call and see if the cut down will work. I am thinking that if I cut off about seven inches, it may work. The effected damaged eill be inside that cut off area.