Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ( UPDATE ) Hornady  SST  Bullets >

( UPDATE ) Hornady SST Bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

( UPDATE ) Hornady SST Bullets

Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 AM

Default ( UPDATE ) Hornady SST Bullets

I have contacked and been talking to Jason Hornady about them trying to make a stronger SSt bullet kinda like the Bonded SW that they produce for TC and to start saleing the SST in bulk as they do the XTPs , and to produce a 225 or 230gr .40cal bullet for the 45cal shooters. I explained to him that not only the 45cal shooters but guys were shooting the 200gr sw in their 50cal also because many shooters were looking for a flatter lower recoil bullet but they also were looking for a stronger bullet to be able to shoot at higher velocitys without blowing apart & give a better chance of a complete passthrough .
He said that they were going to look into it very seriasly and very quickly as they were looking to boost the sst sales and he also said they would look into saleing them in bulk also.

Ron
Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST Bullets

Indiana,

Good work on checking up with them. However, have you heard of any problems with the 200 grain SST blowing up in game? I've heard some issues regarding the .45 250 grain "regular" SST, but not the .40 200 grainers. I've been shooting the 200 grainers some recently - they are the most accurate bullet I've found in my CVA (1.25" 3 shot 100 yard groups). I haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with them yet, though. I've been very happy with the terminal performance of the 200 grain XTP's, though - and my understanding was that the SST is basically the 200 grain XTP with a polymer tip, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: oldsmellhound

Indiana,

Good work on checking up with them. However, have you heard of any problems with the 200 grain SST blowing up in game? I've heard some issues regarding the .45 250 grain "regular" SST, but not the .40 200 grainers. I've been shooting the 200 grainers some recently - they are the most accurate bullet I've found in my CVA (1.25" 3 shot 100 yard groups). I haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with them yet, though. I've been very happy with the terminal performance of the 200 grain XTP's, though - and my understanding was that the SST is basically the 200 grain XTP with a polymer tip, but I could be wrong.
Well we were talking on the .40cal 200gr about a little heavyer bullet like a 225 - 230 gr somewere in that nieberhood and like the SW offer a standard & a Bonded style Bullet , But one of the biggest things is to be able to buy them in bulk Quant. like the XTPs 100ct. & 50ct. Boxes this would shure make it cheapper to shoot the SST and being offerd in bulk is something that TC is not offering the SW in. I think all bullets & weights would be ok as long as you keep them @ 100gr or less the issue is alot of guys want to push them to fast and thats were the troubbles with the 250grners come in to play. SO for the guy that wants to push them supersonic speeds they can use the bonded style bullets.

Ron
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my opinion the original 250 SST are hard enough...My buddy and I have killed about 15 deer with it and frankly on lung shots we get little expansion and have never recovered a bullet, the deer usually run 100-125 yards...I've started taking high lung shots, the bullets still pass through, even on shots inside of 50 yards...

Now, we use 90grs of Pyrodex, Triple 7 and Goex FFF and I'm good to 150 yards, my gun just doesn't group these bullets well with more powder...

What he might consider doing is have the recommended velocity ranges on the package for different bullets, if the guys that use more powder need a tougher bullet...

The bulk thing would be nice...
Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Thanks nchawkeye
I will bring the volocity range stickers to him also.

Ron
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Indiana SmokePole, Ron, that is an extremally good idea I believe we should have some standards in muzzle loading and the minimum and maximum velocities should be one of them and inside dia. of a barrel should be one of them too. Lee
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on the minimum and maximum velocities listed on the package. I would love that info. I know Hornady posts its velocity ranges for XTP's, although I've pushed the 200 grain XTP faster than it was rated and still got good performance on deer.

I would love to be able to buy SST's in bulk- I bought a 100 pack of XTP's 2 years ago for $18 and still have some left. Would be nice to do the same with SST's. It's easy to find sabots on sale after ML season is over too.

A 225-240 grain .40 SST would be interesting too...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 AM

WELL a little update I just talked to Jason @ Hornady and he said that he was getting HAMMERD with Emails from you guys ,

Great Job Fellers Keep them going.

Here Is What I Proposed to him

(1 ) SST in Bulk
( 2 ) .40cal bullets also in a 225gr or a 235gr
( 3 ) Ballistic Sheets or stickers with every box
( 4 ) a bonded vertion of the 250gr SST

Ron
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Indiana SmokePole, all that and a bonded SST in 452 dia and 270 to 280 gr this weight is always popular as they seem to shoot best in a lot of guns. Lee
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of this sounds good to me. One tack you could take on the bulk idea is that thereis such a range of actual bore diameters in muzzleloaders that offering bullets in bulk without sabotsallows the shooter to choose the sabot that works best in their rifle separate from the bullet and thus eliminates the waste of unused sabots that came with the bullet but didn't work in the gun. Of course, they could take the stance that packaging the bullets with different sabot sizes allows them to continue selling in smaller quantities at higher prices, not a good situation for the rest of us.

Quick Reply: ( UPDATE ) Hornady SST Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.