Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to Muzzle loading >

New to Muzzle loading

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to Muzzle loading

Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Default New to Muzzle loading

I have a T/C omega .50 that I traided a friend for a 17 HMR. It has a nikon omega scope on it. My question is he sighted it in with 250 shockwave ammo and the sabots they come with and only 100 grain of the powder pellets. He said it was accurate at 50 and 100 yards but from what I read the scope is designed for a magnum load of 150gr worth of pellets. I have not got a chance to shoot myself so I have not been able to test this. Does this sound right?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to Muzzle loading

You're talking about the BDC (bullet drop compensator) built into the scope. I think it is made for 150 grains of pellets and the 250 grain shockwave. Although I do not shoot that rig, so don't quote me on it.

Instead, go out and try it with 100 grains of powder and the shockwave. See how it shoots. That load is a good strong hunting load and would get the job done. If you're happy with the load, then good. If not get some pellets and kick that up to 150 grains if you like to beat your self up. That is one reason I never got too excited about the BDC in a scope. I have one on a centerfire rifle and have never used it.

Today for fun, I was shooting 120 grains of Pyrodex RS with a 300 grain Speer Gold dot out of my Knight Disc. I can tell you that when you push them to magnum abilities, it sure makes a difference in the way the rifle handles.

The main thing is shoot it and see what you think of it. There is alway time to experiment... Have fun shooting.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 PM

50Omega

welcome to the wonderfull word of smokepoles , IMO stay away from the magnum charges and your accuracy will be better , no need going over 100gr of powder !

Ron
Old 06-01-2008, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Indiana SmokePole

50Omega

welcome to the wonderfull word of smokepoles , IMO stay away from the magnum charges and your accuracy will be better , no need going over 100gr of powder !

Ron
Thats what I have heard as well.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those reference marks/circles on the reticle are set up for one load situation but you can do some tests and learn to use them for other loads. If the reference load uses 9x, your 100 grain load might work very closely using those marks at 7x (as an example).
Old 06-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

the OMEGA is a good muzzloader it is good for .150 grain load of powder ,like my ENCORE but if ur shooting sabots like u wrote 250gr T/C shockwave stay at 100 gr. T7 and enjoy the sport ...
Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

I believe the marks on the Omega scope were for 100 gr. 777 and a250 gr. bullet, but like everyone will tell you, find an accurate load firstand then worry about the scope. In other words, make up your own chart for the different dotsafter you find an accurate load. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot an Omega and a Triumph and you will find them very accurate guns if you go to the trouble of finding the loads the gun likes guns are like finger prints no two are exactally the same. Very few have many loads that group tight with the 150 gr load most shoot there tightest groups with loads between 90 and 130 gr { just happen to have an Omega that has one load that shoots best with 150 gr RS and 200gr SW. My 250 load is 120 gr RS and a 250 XTP, SW or Gold Dot while the 300 gr load shoots best with 110 gr. the Triumph likes 250 Gold Dots and 777 but its shoot groups half that sixe with the new Black Horn 209 powder and at 200 fps higher velocity. So plan some trips to the range with a variety of powders and bullets and sabots finding the right sabot is always the first step. Its all part of the fun. Lee
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to muzzleloading! I'd ditto what some of the other guys said - it is worthwhile to take some time to play with different bullet/powder combinations and see what your Omega likes. While some people get good accuracy with the 150 grain loads, I think most of us here find a lot of times you are just wasting powder shooting that stout a load. It's hard on the shoulder too. However, once in awhile a certain rifle will like a higher powder charge and shoot better with it - it's hard to say.

If you have the time, I'd advise getting some loose 777, and a couple packs of different kinds of bullets to see what works well. If you don't have the time for it, 2 777 pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave will most likely provide accuracy and power that is more than good enough for hunting purposes.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM

I sure do appreciate all of the insight that you all have given me. I have only been hunting for about three years now, and I went from rifle to bow and now muzzle loader. I have a passion that is unlike anything most have seen before and I am always willing to try something new.

Quick Reply: New to Muzzle loading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.