Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 05-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Default RE: Primers ...

Yes, remington kleanbores were crap in my rifle. cci/federal were all i used after that. The added expense of the muzzle loading primers is crazy and not needed

$2.89 CCI/FederalVS $8.99 Winchester 777 primers [:'(]
Old 05-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried all the 209 available, the so call special primers by REM. and 777 primers were the pits lots a fliers I did not have even though I actually never got rid of all of them till I went to BH209 powder. The only thing the muzzle loader 209 did was carbon up the Breach Plug a LOT more. I tried all the regular 209s [Win Rem Fed and Rem] and with 777 and RS they gave about the same results. See if you can tell who makes them and let us know. Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my Mustang, the 777 primers were the dirtiest of any primers I tried. Regular CCIs were the cleanest. Changed over to .25 ACP - cleaner yet and eliminated flyers.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I guess I am a bit surprised with your results with Win 777 primers. I normally shoot Remington 209-4 primers, which are no longer available, so I did pick up some - a bunch of Win 777 - from a Wal-mart sale -> $2.00 per 100... I shoot them at the range - trying to save the 209-4's for hunting and I guess I never have noticed any shifts in group sizes,fliers or even a different POI. The only thing I do not like about the Win primers is the battery cup is aluminum - I muchprefer the copper cup of the Remingtons.

The only other primer I have used a lot is the Ceddite - but did not need that hot of a primer for T7 - even in the coldest weather. With the cooler 209-4s(built for 410 shotguns) and the Win T7primers - I do not build a crud ring at all. The Cheddits did produce a slight "crud ring" but nothing unruly...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I have a TC Omega .50, topped with a Nikon BDC....

At first I hated the scope, and knowing weapons...Was not confident in its "claimed ability".

I was using remington clean bore muzzleloaderprimers...wasnt getting the groups at 100yards that I wished for

then I was introduced to shotgun primers...

The primer switch was the ONLY thing I changed..Next time out of the farm, I felt like I had a whole new muzzleloader. TACK DRIVER..Couldnt believe it..Brought it out to 150, then 200.....Groups were outstanding..

using 150grain pellet(triple 7)
250grain shockwave

Anyone else use these shotgun primers ? It was alot cheaper than the .25 acp breach conversion....and same theory.
Primers, sabots and bullets make all make a huge difference in each individual gun. Glad you found a combo that works for you and you feel confident in your gun to 200 yards. Most of us on the ML forum shoot "regular" primers not Kleenbore or other ML specific primers. Chap Gleason
Old 05-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used any other primer than a Winchester 209. My best groups were with the .451 Nosler Partition 300 gr and 110 gr 2f T7. It works just fine for me so I see no need to change (other than maybe some .458 partitions.)
Old 05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah primers will effect guns differently. My cousin has an Omega that the only thing it will shoot is CCIs. Anything else and it has fliers. However, I have not found that much of a deviation in the guns that I've owned. In fact one day I tried, Remington's, CCIs, Win 777 and Win 209s in my Genesisand never found a difference. I have resorted to shooting the CCIs now because of shooting BH 209 and I don't want to take any chances. But I have not had any problems with ignition w/Klenbores like some have. I think just like with bullets, you have to experiment with primers as well. But it sounds like your search is over
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

777 primers were the worst in ever tried , but the Remington kleanbore worked the best FOR ME in both my Traditions pursuit pro and my Encore with Pyrodex . Both were nail drivers . But now i use the regular Winchester 209 primers with the Backhorn 209 powder.

Here is my Encore group using Kleanbore primers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzle%20loaders/DSCN0019-1.jpg

And my Traditions .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzle%20loaders/4shot65yrds.jpg

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.