Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some GPR Homework

Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some GPR Homework

It has stopped raining for a bit so I got out first thing this morning. I drove out to where I shoot and managed to get three shots off before the blackflies and mosquitoes start to feast on me.[:@] Ireally want to shoot today so I drive home and take a bath in some bug juice and return to spot. Take bite of 98% DEET you little buggers.Now with the bug problem solved I get down to some shooting.

In my first target the first 3 shots are from 13 yds. I then adjusted the sights and backed the target off to 50 yds and fired for effect. I noticed that I was consistently right so I drifted my rear sight to the left a hair and set up a new target. The first 3 shots there are in the bull and the last 2 just outside.

I was having issues with the set trigger on the first target. I would cock the hammer, "set" the rear trigger, line up on target and squeeze the front trigger. All I would get would be click and the hammer would fall to half cock. This would happen two or three times. When I shot the second target, I used the front trigger only as that click was playing havock on my pysche and groupings.

Anyone have any thoughts on this sett trigger buisiness?

All shots were with 75 gr 3F Goex (charge and prime), .495 ball w/ walmart blue stripe pillow tick, lubed with Cayugad's Moose Milk lube. Point of aim was the bottom of the bull.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Default RE: Some GPR Homework

Sounds like you need to adjust the screws for the triggers. Screwing it in should help. I just forget what direction is needed.

Now its take for my Powerbelt shooting day and my custom jb weld reinforced powerbelts
Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried adjusting the set screw when I got home after cleaning and had no effect.???? It worked fine the last time I was out. Maybe something broken inside?

One thing I noticed with using 75 gr of powder was that there was very little fouling in the barrel after firing. Also I never had a single flash in the pan either. Everything just seemed to be cleaner.

edit: I switched the lock with a Deerstalker's and everything seems to work fine. I must have mixed them up at one time I guess.??????
Old 05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're getting there HuntAway. Regarding the degree of fouling, I've found the same thing with my GP .54 flinter. 80 &85 grainsleaves me with a cleaner bore than higher or lower charges.

Glad you got the trigger thing fixed. Stuff like that make you scratch your head.

I have 185 shots through mine and I have yet to have a flash in the pan -failure to spark, yes; flash in the pan, no. I put a RMC touch hole liner in mine before I took the very first shot. Are you using the Lyman factory liner? My longest flint life has been 60 shots, though I did knap that flint twice by striking the flint on the heel of the frizzen. I had one flint that completely shattered after seven shots.

I had a lengthy (50 shot) and interestingrange session Saturday in perfect weather. I'll post it after I get a chance to scan the targets. Muzzle loaders are addictive - sidehammers more so - flintlocks may require intervention by concerned friends and relatives.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Muzzle loaders are addictive - sidehammers more so - flintlocks may require intervention by concerned friends and relatives. "

You've got that right. I haven't had my centerfires out since last year and then it is only for a quick zero check. I find myself using the ML's more and more often.

I also have a RMC vent liner installed. Flint life seems to vary. I had as few as 5 shots to as many as 40 on a single flint. On average I would say about 25 shots per flint. I still haven't gotten the knack of knapping them without shattering them all to heck.

Funny thing today is I felt like I shot better with the single stage trigger than the set trigger. I think the trigger pull is about 15 pounds on single though. lol
Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, my front trigger is pretty heavy too. But, I love the set trigger.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

If that is a TC and maybe some others it has a little tear drop shaped part on the side of the hammer by the halfcock notch, it sounds like it must be stuck or broke or packed up with crud. If it does not have a fly[ the little part we are talking about] then loof by the half cock notch for a machined out spot wit a little hole in the deepest part of the V if that whats there and there is no little part its been lost. If there is no little part and no cut out then you have to do some changeing of springs or machineing to correct the problem. Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

If that is a TC and maybe some others it has a little tear drop shaped part on the side of the hammer by the halfcock notch, it sounds like it must be stuck or broke or packed up with crud. If it does not have a fly[ the little part we are talking about] then loof by the half cock notch for a machined out spot wit a little hole in the deepest part of the V if that whats there and there is no little part its been lost. If there is no little part and no cut out then you have to do some changeing of springs or machineing to correct the problem. Lee
I posed the question on The Muzzleloading Forum and that is what they said as well. I compared the locks from the Deerstalker and the GPR and they both functioned the same, fly included. I'm thinking that I mixed them up one day while cleaning. Even though they are the same lock, there must be some small variations and increased pressure points when I mixed them up. I switched them and they both seem to work fine now. I think I'll get my engraver out and serial number them to match to avoid this mix up in the future.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Good idea! And I'm glad that your lock problem was easily resolved.
Thehammer getting stuck on1/2 cockhappened to me onceright after I came home from buying a used TC Renegade. I ended upsending only the stockin to TC's Service Dept.and they fixeditwithout specifyingexactly whatthe problem was.
I'd hate to think what would have happened if you had sentTC the wrong lock to fix. Youcould have ended up with 2 TC locks,& neither able towork in your Deerstalker. [8D]
Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both locks are Lymans. GPR and Deerstalker .50.

Quick Reply: Some GPR Homework

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.